Water pressure question

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your incoming water to your house and it can add pressure to your showers and faucets. Then to your rodi, they make larger tanks.
If he’s on municipal water there is no tank. If he was on a well he could adjust the settings to raise the pressure. You can also adjust air in tank to help with pressure.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I dont need a tank? just the booster and have it plumbed in?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you with that meter only being 5/8?
If your main is one inch you could get a one inch to 5/8 tail piece, or a 3/4 to 5/8 tailpiece then a reducing bushing to get you back to one inch. Either way it’s more pressure and volume then what it looks like you have now. Hard to tell from pic but What it looks like you have there is it’s reduced down to 1/2“. probably because whoever installed the meter only had with him that configuration to get it going.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I dont need a tank? just the booster and have it plumbed in?
Yes, but if it’s reduced down to 1/2” like I posted above would fix that even if you get a pump. Call a plumber, show him the 1/2” x 1” elbow in question. That alone might get you up to 45 psi.

edit. Some booster pumps come with a small tank, sometimes that tank is a bladder, not a reservoir, most only use a pump.

Another edit. Would not take what the city worker said as truth. Maybe talk to some of your neighbors

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if it’s reduced down to 1/2” like I posted above would fix that even if you get a pump. Call a plumber, show him the 1/2” x 1” elbow in question. That alone might get you up to 45 psi.
Reducing pipe size limits the flow, thats why 1" is run to the house to improve flow

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your confusing the conversation with this. As cold water heats in the water heater it expands. This is a bladder to help relieve pressure so you don’t get hammering or too much pressure which could cause leaks

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your confusing the conversation with this. As cold water heats in the water heater it expands. This is a bladder to help relieve pressure so you don’t get hammering or too much pressure which could cause leaks
I copied the wrong article, the lows link was to a pressure tank, you sound like you have it covered sorry to confuse you.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I copied the wrong article, the lows link was to a pressure tank, you sound like you have it covered sorry to confuse you.
I’m not confused. Just trying help a fellow reefer. A seperate pressure tank is used in conjunction with a well pump to help prolong the life of the pump. On a well you can adjust the pump settings, and also adjust the air pressure in the tank. On municipal water you don’t have those options. The pressure coming into the house is what it is. It looks like op has a 1/2” fitting on his one inch line which is greatly reducing the volume of water he can receive. If that’s not enough to get him upwards of 45psi he’d be a good candidate for a house booster pump. Most newer design booster pumps have a pressure sensor that tells the pump when to come on, eliminating the need for a pressure tank or reservoir

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pipe size does not increase pressure, it increases flow.
a bladder tank can only increase pressure to what well pump can supply. bladder tank holds reserve pressure so you have water pressure without pump running.
i would live there for while and see if you need a whole house booster. if you find it ok your rodi will work fine with its own booster pump. most houses run at 45psi on a well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back