water proofing a metal seam?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trever
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Trever

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
671
Reaction score
333
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the Petco metal stands for a 20 gallon long. I believe it will suit my needs well, have it assembled.

I notice that where the 4 lateral beams bolt into the vertical beams, the powder coat and such seems suspect: salt water spilling in there over time will likely rust things out, especially on top but I'm laying a 15 gallon on the bottom beams for the sump, so same concern down there. It's a small thin line essentially I'd like to seal up, without being visible (or visible much). Ideally I can still take the thing apart later, and reapply whatever I applied.

Paint doesn't seem the best option. Any other ideas? I haven't actually worked with silicone, but maybe this would be application of a small amount of that? It needs to be flush with the surface so as not to mess up the tank on it, though I suppose I could get a mat. I'm considering not using a mat, though it's a little slide prone on the stand, given the tank plastic rims. It comes with 4 anti-slip circular pads to put in the 4 corners, which makes no sense to me (put extra weight on the 4 corners?).
 
I'd recommend maybe trying to find a black caulk or epoxy maybe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new