Water softener and RO/DI

shutupfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a RO/DI system. My area has hard water and my home has a salt free water softener. The system consists of a sediment filter, carbon filter, and some kind of softener canister that changes the solubility of things that make water hard. This doesn’t remove the hardness so the RO/DI will have to do all that work. I got some test strips and the result was < 0.5 ppm total and free chlorine.

What RO/DI stages should I use? My gut says a sediment filter and two DI should protect the membrane and clean up anything remaining in the water

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a RO/DI system. My area has hard water and my home has a salt free water softener. The system consists of a sediment filter, carbon filter, and some kind of softener canister that changes the solubility of things that make water hard. This doesn’t remove the hardness so the RO/DI will have to do all that work. I got some test strips and the result was < 0.5 ppm total and free chlorine.

What RO/DI stages should I use? My gut says a sediment filter and two DI should protect the membrane and clean up anything remaining in the water

Well don't plan to use DI to protect your membrane. You will quickly burn through DI.

I'd just stick with a 3+ stage, another sediment and carbon followed by RO then however many DI canisters you wish to run. I say the 3+ because your still seeing chlorine after your softener, you'll want to protect the RO membrane from that. Another sediment prior to that carbon in order to prevent clogging of the carbon.

The alternative would be to more closely monitor and change your filters prior to the softener, but that will add to your expenses since you'll be filtering all of your water and changing more frequently than normal. You can let the sediment and carbon go a little extra in your current setup with the softener, but everything your allowing to get through as extra will trash an RO.

With the amount of RODI you are probably planning on producing it will likely be cheaper to run it as the first option.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any idea of the water quality in your area outside of the hardness? Is chloramine used, are you on a well, etc.

Here is some additional info as well.

OP
OP
S

shutupfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don't plan to use DI to protect your membrane. You will quickly burn through DI.
Sorry. I meant use the extra sediment filter to protect it not the DI resin.

The test strip had 0 than 0.5 ppm. The test squares were very slightly colored so not 0, but also not close to the 0.5 color. It seems like very little chlorine is making it through, but I can’t say better than < 0.5

Any idea of the water quality in your area outside of the hardness? Is chloramine used, are you on a well, etc.
I don’t really know much about reading a water quality report. It says the wells have chlorine contaminant added to control microbes. Chloramine doesn’t appear anywhere on the report. I’m not sure what the primary contribution is of the hardness

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I meant use the extra sediment filter to protect it not the DI resin.

The test strip had 0 than 0.5 ppm. The test squares were very slightly colored so not 0, but also not close to the 0.5 color. It seems like very little chlorine is making it through, but I can’t say better than < 0.5

I don’t really know much about reading a water quality report. It says the wells have chlorine contaminant added to control microbes. Chloramine doesn’t appear anywhere on the report. I’m not sure what the primary contribution is of the hardness

Knowing they don't use the chloramine is a good place to start.

What do you currently use for pore size prior to the softener?

I'd go smaller on the ones for the RO if you choose to go that route.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1428.jpeg

This is my setup with spring well whole house filter with salt free softerner smaller of the big canisters. I then go to another sediment then two more carbons then ro and 2 di. Rarely have to change filters since putting in the whole house filter. This is with city water and chloramines added. So long as you don’t test chlorine and tds is 0 your good to go.

Writingskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan seems solid. Starting with a sediment filter to remove larger particles is a good idea. Follow that with two DI (deionization) stages to ensure the removal of any remaining impurities. This should help protect your RO membrane and guarantee clean, soft water output.

Remember, RO/DI systems are fantastic for getting top-notch water quality, but the filter lifespan might be shorter if your source water is very hard. Regular maintenance and replacement of filter cartridges will be essential.

Writingskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan seems solid. Starting with a sediment filter to remove larger particles is a good idea. Follow that with two DI (deionization) stages to ensure the removal of any remaining impurities. This should help protect your RO membrane and guarantee clean, soft water output.

Remember, RO/DI systems are fantastic for getting top-notch water quality, but the filter lifespan might be shorter if your source water is very hard. Regular maintenance and replacement of filter cartridges will be essential.
By the way, if you're also looking for a drinking water filter, you might want to consider Filtersorb. It's a great option for ensuring clean and safe drinking water.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1428.jpeg

This is my setup with spring well whole house filter with salt free softerner smaller of the big canisters. I then go to another sediment then two more carbons then ro and 2 di. Rarely have to change filters since putting in the whole house filter. This is with city water and chloramines added. So long as you don’t test chlorine and tds is 0 your good to go.
I'm starting to look at the SpringWell salt-free. It's more of a conditioner than a softener using TAC, correct? Happy with it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back