Water Softener or NOT ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live in a small town with a well. The water is pretty clean, but it does have some type of black mineral that leaves spots in the toilet. I can get a water analysis if needed.

The first well had a lot of iron that stained everything orange, but this well is pretty clean.

What's the best way of plumbing a softener and,.....to my RO/DI system ?
Should I install a large "whole house filter" before everything else, like where the plumbing first comes into the basement ?

Stupid question, how do you hook one up so you don't soften the outside water ?
I love my lawn and garden, but don't think they need soft water. lol.....

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get the water tested. Black residue can be bacteria or manganese; possibly something else. A whole house filter would usually take care of manganese. If bacteria, the well may need to be shocked.

When you plumb in a softener you have a line that goes to the softener from your pressure tank through the softener that that then goes to the hot water heater and cold water to the rest of the house. For outside water it's as simple as pipe plumbed from the pressure tank before the softener. I have a large whole house filter between my pressure tank and the softener as well.

Your RODI can be plumbed anywhere after the softener on the cold water line.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get your water tested no need for a water softener if you do not have hard water. I like to have a whole house sediment filter installed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, how do you hook one up so you don't soften the outside water ?
I love my lawn and garden, but don't think they need soft water. lol.....

Outside hose taps are often diverted off the incoming main line before the water hits the softener for the remainder of the house.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP: You didn't say where in Nebraska you live, and you obviously have a private well that wouldn't necessarily be similar to municipal water systems in the state. But it appears that Lincoln uses groundwater (i.e., one or more municipal wells) to supply city customers. Often, the underlying geology is similar in any specific area, and I noted that Lincoln's annual municipal water report states that they monitor sulfate as an unregulated contaminant, and the concentrations in the local water are relatively high at around 85ppm:

Sulfates aren't harmful at this level, but many, many sulfate minerals are black in color. It's possible that your well is drawing from similar groundwater sources, and the black material you're observing is insoluble sulfate minerals.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had ion exchange water softners for home use and they work great for reef tanks. Phosphate and minerals too low too detect.

Well water doesn't bother me as long as sulfur isn't too high, but I know a lot of women hate hard water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back