Water splashed into wall outlet and breaker tripped

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some electrical help. As I was removing something from the aquarium that was magnetized I lost my grip and one magnet slammed into another and caused a splash. The splash landed on the wall and an outlet. This outlet is not gfci. Immediately the breaker tripped. The outlet had a surge protector plugged in. The outlet doesn’t appear to be soaked but I guess all it takes is one drop. The light was red on the breaker and it was halfway between on and off. I was able to reset the breaker and restore electricity to the dining room. Will everything be alright? I’m going to swap that outlet out for a gfci but is there anything I should be concerned about that would require an electrician?

Rxwanless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some electrical help. As I was removing something from the aquarium that was magnetized I lost my grip and one magnet slammed into another and caused a splash. The splash landed on the wall and an outlet. This outlet is not gfci. Immediately the breaker tripped. The outlet had a surge protector plugged in. The outlet doesn’t appear to be soaked but I guess all it takes is one drop. The light was red on the breaker and it was halfway between on and off. I was able to reset the breaker and restore electricity to the dining room. Will everything be alright? I’m going to swap that outlet out for a gfci but is there anything I should be concerned about that would require an electrician?
everything should be fine. if not soaked. if the breaker reset, all good

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@Brew12, @redfishbluefish - any thoughts on the question above?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a solid plan. I'd hold off on replacing your outlet with a GFCI until you check what breaker you have. Sounds like you have either a GFCI or AFCI breaker (Or combo) already installed in the panel. Definitely replace the outlet itself as the salt will corrode the outlet internals... if you have AFCI then you could use a GFCI outlet if you wanted, however if it is indeed a GFCI/AFCI breaker, I don't see the benefit of adding a GFCI outlet.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number 13 is what tripped. I guess it’s a CAFCI. I turned it back off as we are nervous.

2DFBFAF2-6717-4264-9617-1180D7BFB8DC.jpeg

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don’t know that anything was wet other than when I unplugged the surge protector there was a drop of water on the ground of the plug closest to the plug body.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrician here. That is an AFCI breaker it will trip if it detects any sort of short. Saltwater is a great conductor and if it created a path between any of the 3 prongs on you outlet it will have caused a trip. You don't need an electrician for anything, the breaker did exactly what it was designed to do.

Replacing the outlet with a GFCI is a good idea, I would recommend getting one labeled Weather Resistant. If you would like an additional layer if protection you can install a weather proof bubble cover over it to prevent contact with splashed water.

Hope that helps

texas250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your breaker sounds like it is working properly, I have done lots of electrical work in the past both DC and AC, I used to do line work with 150kv and above for dupont.

I would start by leaving the breaker off, unplugging everything from the outlet and spraying a cleaner on it, follow that with a shop vac for sucking out any remaining moisture, and if you would like to take the extra step spray it with an electrical contact cleaner ( typically found at any hardware store). Shop vac the out let one more time to ensure it is dry. Then flip the breaker on. Once the breaker doesn’t pop, plug everything back in. I have done this many times as I seem to be pretty careless when doing water changes, that or I am just clumsy.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SoggyNW if the breaker is back on and has been for the last 25 minutes and hasn’t tripped again, am I good to go? I just plugged the surge protector back in and fired up the aquarium pumps. So far it hasn’t tripped again. I think the water dropped down the face plate. Whether I go gfci or regular outlet, should it be replaced?

texas250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SoggyNW if the breaker is back on and has been for the last 25 minutes and hasn’t tripped again, am I good to go? I just plugged the surge protector back in and fired up the aquarium pumps. So far it hasn’t tripped again. I think the water dropped down the face plate. Whether I go gfci or regular outlet, should it be replaced?
I would say yes you are good to go. A breaker would trip almost immediately if there is still an arc or ground fault interrupt in the circuit.

Back