Water temp for Acropora reef tank

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what water temp pros with Acropora dominant tanks keep there water temp at? I recently raised mine 1 degree from 78.5 to 79.5 and I could be hallucinating but I swear my acros have more polyp extension, and alk and calc consumption has gone up in the last month since I raised it. But I’m guessing 1 degree couldn’t be the reason. Any ideas?

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines between 76-82. Winter / summer.

Have you been feeding more? There are all sorts of reasons they could be doing better but that’s always a great feeling when they are :)

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I moved mine up from 77 to 79 and it didn't take much time to notice a positive change. Not only sps but zoas too, all looked happier.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed the corals really, whatever they might get from the fish food and fish poop seems to be enough. If I had a low bioload then feeding them would probably be necessary. I do add around 8 drops of Kent phytoplankton( the little glass bottle) once a week or so at night, but not on a regular routine.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed the corals really, whatever they might get from the fish food and fish poop seems to be enough. If I had a low bioload then feeding them would probably be necessary. I do add around 8 drops of Kent phytoplankton( the little glass bottle) once a week or so at night, but not on a regular routine.

I meant feeding your fish more, sorry. I don’t feed my corals either. All they get is fish dookie.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora reefs exist fine with temps between the mid 60s to the low 80s.

Higher temps will give higher metabolic rates but lower temps will have more oxygen.

Corals have bleaching episodes when temps get into and above the mid 80s.

Anywhere in the 70s is probably fine as long as temp fluctuations are slow.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, anywhere between 75-85 probably doesn't make much difference. Considering they've evolved to live in that range.

I set my heater to 78 and the tank runs around 80.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do have more PE, it is because the gasses in the tank than the temperature - SPS only NEED to use their polyps for gas exchange. 78-80 is fine and a 2 degree swing is fine. PE is not a sign of anything, so don't sweat it too much.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do have more PE, it is because the gasses in the tank than the temperature - SPS only NEED to use their polyps for gas exchange. 78-80 is fine and a 2 degree swing is fine. PE is not a sign of anything, so don't sweat it too much.
And all these years I thought PE was a good sign, other than adding a different color to that of the whole coral body, learn something new everyday on here thanks for that reply. Ps I really only sweat if I’m working hard or I’m fishing and I’m fighting a big fish and it’s hot outside;)

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be all softies and lps years ago . IME yes corals like it better as temp increased, buttttt everything bad ( pests,alge,bacteria,ect) like it hot even more. IME I’m nervous 81 degrees or more , so I stay lower 76-77

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
77-80. Winter can dip to 76-77, but summer I try to keep at no higher than 80

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to do this for a year and the above article was the push I needed!
Day 2

Corals both LPS and SPS are looking good and strong especially the LPS they love 82F over where I had them before 77F. The SPS was at 78/79F before and they are all looking undisturbed and exactly as 78 but I will hint that they are starting to like the new temp 82F.

The conch snail did come out of sleeping and I saw him woking on the sides of my rocks, he stands up like a child reaching for something on the counter he cannot reach. He uses his extendable mouth to eat off the rocks what he can get, then in the AM he went back to sleep in the same spot, dug a hole just exposing his colorful shell.

I cleaned all the film algae, I know it is good but I like the panels spotless.

Okay, the dinos if I had them in the 30 or whether they were really diatoms sandbed is all white with zero stirring up from me, the 15 cerith snails have been in it all day and night and now in the AM.

I stirred the sand in the 12 gallon SPS that I know has Dinos and this morining there was still dinos but not as much. The stirring for me is making water ever I have in there water borne for extra passes through the UV connected.

I will post another video of before and after in day 2.

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently raised mine from 77-78F to 81-82F my LPS and zoas/palys are more extended just after 1 day!

SPS still not enough difference but it has only been one day.
I too have done this, sitting right around 81.5 and haven't noticed any ill signs for any SPS. For the past 10 years I've been doing the higher 70's but finally am trying the low 80's.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have done this, sitting right around 81.5 and haven't noticed any ill signs for any SPS. For the past 10 years I've been doing the higher 70's but finally am trying the low 80's.
Low 80's seem to speed up metabolism in corals, so they are more extended. I just want the dinos to suffer and not like the warmer waters. So, far I am on day 2 only of Dinos. I am going to add Start Smart Complete, to introduce more good bacteria. Will report if that helps out the systems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back