Water Temp

Tom Slawinski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water temp keeps rising. No obvious reason. heaters are OFF. Ambient temp is 70. aquarium temp rising to 88. HELP

OP
OP
T

Tom Slawinski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a big UV?
No UV. The only thing running currently is the return pump (Vectra L2). I've turned off the skimmer. Temp probe in on a APEX (Calibrated with a digital thermometer). Tank is a RedSea XXL 625.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps, lights, uv, also when you say heaters are off do you mean unplugged? Many heaters fail in the on position, especially the cheaper glass tube models.

OP
OP
T

Tom Slawinski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Temp checked with a digital reference thermometer (yesterday and today). Probe changed last night. Heaters are on apex with the outlet turned OFF (good point about a faulty outlet, will check when I get home. Will also check the Vectra). All wave makers are VorTech (MP 40 X 4), so no heat generation in tank.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Temp checked with a digital reference thermometer. Probe changed last night. Heaters are on apex with the outlet turned OFF (good point about a faulty outlet, will check when I get home. Will also check the Vectra). All wave makers are VorTech (MP 40 X 4), so no heat generation in tank.
If it’s the newer apex you could check amperage on your heater outlet in fusion if you’re not home.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the newer apex you could check amperage on your heater outlet in fusion if you’re not home.
Wouldn't hurt to check, but I believe it might still read zero if the outlet is called to be off. Been a long time but I recall something about it forcing the value to zero when the outlets off even if it's failed ON.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't hurt to check, but I believe it might still read zero if the outlet is called to be off. Been a long time but I recall something about it forcing the value to zero when the outlets off even if it's failed ON.
Well crap, have to wait till you get home then! I don’t have the newer apex but I had not heard that one.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, have to wait till you get home then! I don’t have the newer apex but I had not heard that one.
I know for certain the if watts command is forced to zero when the outlet is off. The part I am not sure of is if that architecture happens before the stack that shows the values in the display or if it's just applies to the watts command specifically. Only way to test is with a known failed relay or asking neptune engineering specifically (they won't tell us).

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for certain the if watts command is forced to zero when the outlet is off. The part I am not sure of is if that architecture happens before the stack that shows the values in the display or if it's just applies to the watts command specifically. Only way to test is with a known failed relay or asking neptune engineering specifically (they won't tell us).
Ha, exactly. Since they don’t pot anything as this stuff is never around water, humidity, or salt we could just have someone pop the cap off a relay and force it closed or jump it to find out!

OP
OP
T

Tom Slawinski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That high has got to be a failed heater outlet or a failed sensor. Check them all closely.

Did you just check the temp against another source or are you saying you calibrated it a long time ago?
You were right. outlet issue. however, I hate to admit, it was user error (me LOL). Heaters were plugged into the wrong outlet. The heater outlet had my ATO (and it was OFF). GRRR. All is well now. Temp coming down. I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. :)

Back