Water temps?

DarthRaiderBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2022
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
9,910
Location
Grove city
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best tank temperature? I have always kept mine at 78 degrees, should I back it off a bit? Does that affect coral growth?
 
I've played around with both lower (setting the thermometer at 76 which usually leads to 75 - 77 range) as well as 78 (77 - 79) and don't notice a big difference. I prefer to set at 78 in the winter and 76 in the summer to buffer from both cold and warm influences around the tank.
 
Don’t quote me on any of these…but I believe them to be correct.

Corals grow faster in warmer water, but so does algae and other potentially undesirable things.

Higher temps equal lower levels of dissolved oxygen…so could affect fish like tangs.

I believe most of the ocean’s reefs are around 81/82 degrees.

I try to run my tanks 76/77. I don’t think there is much difference between 76 or 78.
 
I've played around with both lower (setting the thermometer at 76 which usually leads to 75 - 77 range) as well as 78 (77 - 79) and don't notice a big difference. I prefer to set at 78 in the winter and 76 in the summer to buffer from both cold and warm influences around the tank.
Thank you. I've never asked this question and have been wondering.
 
I ran mine between 78-80
 
I like to be at 76-77 at the most. Bad bacteria grows faster in warmer water
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new