Water Testing?

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the saltwater world and I'm wondering what kind of test kits, or hand held testers I should get. Right now I have down that I need a hydrometer for salinity, but don't know what else to get. Any suggestions? I want to get as much kits as I can instead of going to a LFS every time I want to test my water.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the saltwater world and I'm wondering what kind of test kits, or hand held testers I should get. Right now I have down that I need a hydrometer for salinity, but don't know what else to get. Any suggestions? I want to get as much kits as I can instead of going to a LFS every time I want to test my water.
Welcome to R2R! I think the first question is where are you in setting up your tank? If it hasn’t cycled yet I would simply go with the API Saltwater Test Kit. It’s cheap and lets you monitor pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Not super accurate but it should cover you until you’ve cycled your tank.

As your tank matures and you add corals and fish, you’ll move away from some of these tests (like nitrite) and start to measure things like alkalinity, phosphates, calcium, and magnesium.

Im sure others will have their own opinions too and if you search for test kits you’ll probably find a lot of answers.

Hope this is helpful!

natasha_awt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Pea Puffer! I suggest spending more and getting a higher quality test kit - Salifert or Red Sea. The most important parameters you want to measure are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, carbon, alkalinity, and salinity. While you're testing, make sure you're also checking temperature.

Don't stress about the results either. Correct any problems slowly. And don't dose for things you aren't testing for.

In the beginning you'll want to test weekly. I'd also suggest sending water into a water testing service monthly for a more accurate reading. LFS will most likely be using Salifert, Red Sea, or Hanna checkers.

Good luck and welcome the addiction hobby!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want a hydrometer for salinity, you want a refractometer. Much more accurate and reliable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back