Water Volume

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to accurately measure the total water volume in your system. I have a 220 g DT, a trigger sump 36 and Theiling roller mat, dual brs reactor, smart uv sterilizer and a Aquamaxx Q 3 skimmer. I have about 150+ lb of live rock and a 1" sand bed. I have 2" marine pure blocks in my refugium .

When I am dosing or treating the tank I guesstimate. I think I under dose mostly. I don't want to play catch up anymore more, I wan't to be accurate.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take a very intelligent person to even guess at it. Not sure if there is even a way to calculate water displacement like this
If its really important u could drain the tank and measure how much it takes to refill

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say u measure and alk is 8dkh, then u add 10ml of alk and measure again in an hour and its 8.1.
then you know that 10ml of the solution raises your alk by 0.1.
If your daily alk consumption is 0.4dkh, then you would add 40ml daily
This process can be done with calcium and magnesium too
If you want a rough idea of water volume you can use your results in conjunction with the additive dosage instructions to work it out

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take a very intelligent person to even guess at it. Not sure if there is even a way to calculate water displacement like this
If its really important u could drain the tank and measure how much it takes to refill
How accurate are your instruments? Dose a known amount of something like calcium and see how much the before and after changes. Then using a calcium dose calculator trial and error the water volume until correct.

(anth beat me to it)

OP
OP
Q

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How accurate are your instruments? Dose a known amount of something like calcium and see how much the before and after changes. Then using a calcium dose calculator trial and error the water volume until correct.

(anth beat me to it)
I use hanna checker

OP
OP
Q

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say u measure and alk is 8dkh, then u add 10ml of alk and measure again in an hour and its 8.1.
then you know that 10ml of the solution raises your alk by 0.1.
If your daily alk consumption is 0.4dkh, then you would add 40ml daily
This process can be done with calcium and magnesium too
If you want a rough idea of water volume you can use your results in conjunction with the additive dosage instructions to work it out
Makes sense..thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back