Using Na2CO3 to calculate water volume.

  • Thread starter Thread starter mook1178
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mook1178

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
535
Reaction score
600
Location
Lincoln
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the estimate water volume calculators on line. I am either inputting something wrong or they or wrong, but whenever I use that voluem estimate for my tank the alk addition and resulting dKH do not match the expected change.

Therefore I am going to dose some sodium carbonate and record the change in dKH and use those numbers to calculate true water volume. I am going to start the moonshiners method and want something more accurate.

I just need a double check on my math please.

Using
dmeq/l = (m*1000*2)/(106*V)
106= mol of Na2CO3
1000 to convert to mg
2 foe meq/L

I rearrange for V
V = 18.86m/meq/L

Converting meq/L to dKH using 2.8
V = 6.7m/delta dKH

Where m is mass(g) of Na2CO3

Does anybody see anything I am missing?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new