Water Weight Question

Vanessa O.

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
132
Reaction score
1
Location
North Carolina USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about when I up size from my nano to a bigger tank. Do any of you ever worry about the weight of the tank filled with water and your floor? Am I just worrying about nothing? I am thinking about upsizing to a 30 gallon or 40 gallon.
 
Anywhere you live should be able to handle any tank up to 100 gallons. You can put a 30-40 gallon tank anywhere you want without worries. Well, unless you happen to live in a travel trailer............
 
I reinforced the floor under 90 and 120 gallon tanks in different rooms because the beams were running parallel to the tank and so most of the weight of each was on two joists in a home more than 100 years old.

It probably wasn't necessary, but it cost less than $10 to put a doubled 2 x 4 from the basement floor to the underside of one of the joists. :)
 
Thank you Trido. You made me smile. :)

Anywhere you live should be able to handle any tank up to 100 gallons. You can put a 30-40 gallon tank anywhere you want without worries. Well, unless you happen to live in a travel trailer............
 
Thank you Randy. I will talk to my husband and ask him if he thinks we need to reinforce the floor. I don't want anything bigger than a 50 gallon for now. I heard water weight is around 8 pounds a gallon. If so, for a 50 gallon that would be around 400 pounds not including the live rock and sand weight. I am thinking out loud! :)

I reinforced the floor under 90 and 120 gallon tanks in different rooms because the beams were running parallel to the tank and so most of the weight of each was on two joists in a home more than 100 years old.

It probably wasn't necessary, but it cost less than $10 to put a doubled 2 x 4 from the basement floor to the underside of one of the joists. :)
 
Last edited:
Thank you Randy. I will talk to my husband and ask him if he thinks we need to reinforce the floor. I don't want anything bigger than a 50 gallon for now. I heard water weight is around 8 pounds a gallon. If so, for a 50 gallon that would be around 400 pounds not including the live rock and sand weight. I am thinking out loud! :)

Don't forget you'll lose a considerable amount of water due to water displacement when you add the sand and rocks :)
You also need to remember about the weight if the actual tank, the stand and sump if your using one. A glass tank can be surprisingly heavy. But with all that said, I don't see you having any issues. Our floors are designed to be tough :)
 
Hadn't thought about that Tyler, thank you!


Don't forget you'll lose a considerable amount of water due to water displacement when you add the sand and rocks :)
You also need to remember about the weight if the actual tank, the stand and sump if your using one. A glass tank can be surprisingly heavy. But with all that said, I don't see you having any issues. Our floors are designed to be tough :)
 
I was a little concerned when I setup my 180 gallon tank because someone mentioned it might crack the tile in my house but thankfully it didn't. Also I was told that salt water weighs 8.5lbs per gallon
 
Don't forget you'll lose a considerable amount of water due to water displacement when you add the sand and rocks :)

You lose water weight, but the overall tank weight is higher due to sand and rocks than if it were water alone. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new