Waterbox 110.4 Gen2 Build (Aluminum Frame)

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my Gen 2 @WaterBox Marine X 110.4 in, and I wanted to start a build thread on it.

First off, the glass is crystal clear, and I really like it. This tank is HEAVY (not sure of the weight), to me at least. I have yet to be able to put it on the stand. It’s just me and my wife and this stand is pretty tall about 4ft. The tank is close to 2ft (21.7”). I’ll have to get another person as tall as me to lift it high enough.

I just had a couple of tips and pics for new, potential buyers. This is what mine came like. There is another flat board wrapped at the bottom (in red). Cabinet on the left, tank on the right. Sump and plumbing inside the tank, wedged with foam.

44DF1DC9-65E1-43A7-90E7-90138908B546.jpeg

A44466F8-C9FE-40B8-9B14-57B8BD825ADA.jpeg

The tank rests in this hard cardboard base. I’m timid with a rimless $1000+ tank so I just them and weaseled it out, as I couldn’t get a grip and it was heavy.

431A2976-6972-4711-944F-AEC97808D1F2.png

If I could complain about 1 thing, it’d be these screw/nuts, and not having a great guide to put them in, unless I missed something. I couldn’t find a great way to put them in. You have to put them in vertically and then turn them horizontally. Which.. when you start tightening the nut, it can twist. I finally saw that the line on the bottom of the screw will tell you which way the head is facing. I spent countless time on taking a headlamp and flashlight trying to angle in the tract to see which way it was.

My recommendation..

1. Go ahead and put the nut on
2. Put it in vertically
3. Use a flat head to stick in the bolt line at the end and then turn it, or possibly a needle-nose plier, but that was messy and can mess up the threads.

Space is limited to tighten the nut so it will take some luck and wiggling.

5048C394-E897-43C1-94EF-C694CD7DA0EE.jpeg

There are some predrilled holes pretty hidden, when you get to putting the middle part for the doors. I was very confused as to what they where supposed to drill into, until I looked up with a light.

E8DD8EF1-48EC-4B99-8DF8-2EEF0A11E325.jpeg

I’m always used to tops on stands, but this aluminum model has no top. There is a leveling cushion on the bottom of the tank. It goes up until the last 1/2” where the tank rests over the cabinet doors. Frankly it scares me a wee bit.. it’s rimless and the frame is metal. People used aluminum/metal stands all the time, my brain doesn’t understand the intricacies on 600-800lbs of glass and water resting on the frame, but I’m not an engineer so yea, we’ll see. Hopefully I won’t chip it… lol

0EBBEECE-3F62-4663-95E9-667D4A9E3D18.png

I recommend putting a blanket over the sump to prevent anything falling and hitting it while you work on the last parts. The instructions ask to put the sump in before the last middle bar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: MarineX 110.4 Gen2
$2250
(Financed 36 months with 0% APR)
Waterboxaquariums.com

Lights: 2 Viraspectras
$335

Wanted Noopsyches, but maybe in the future. Just getting back into the hobby and they don’t make Ocean Revives anymore. Light prices have skyrocketed now. I haven’t order the viras yet, so @noopsyche if you wanna through a big coupon out cough* cough*

Skimmer: Simplicity 120DC
$162
Had a 20% off sales, then 10% more through @premiumaquatics
PremiumAquatics.com

Return Pump: Jebao DCP4000
$75

Heater: Fluval 300W
Had a giftcard to petsmart, will upgrade later
$50

Live Base Rock: 40-50lbs
$200

Sand: Carib-Alive Special Grade Live Reef Sand 40LBS
$40

Other Buys.. mainly from @SaltwaterAq
SaltwaterAquarium.com
$450-$500
RODI replacments
Thermometers
Refractometer
Salifert and Hanna Testers
Salt: FRITZ IS THE BEST
Magnet Cleaner
Gyre wavemakers
Brute Trashcan
Mixing Pumps
Hose and nozzles for water changes

Total input is really about $1000, financed through Waterbox’s system and the payments are $70~ with no interest. This is without live stock, Auto Top off, upscale lights, upscale pumps, no controller, no doser.

Luckily the lead time on the tank was 2 months and I started buying these things over the last 6 months, so it didn’t hit the wallet too hard.

Just wanted to give an idea of the extra costs for new reefers. I personally recommend getting a new tank. I like to know that I’m getting fresh silicone and a fresh build. Plus 0% APR is great and $70 a month for this thing is easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with getting the stand and tank level. I had the stand leveled on the floor before putting the tank on. After putting the tank on, there is a major imperfection on weight distribution. I’ve wiggled with the adjustable feet for days and cannot get a level load of weight onto the frame. While the leveling mat should “adjust for imperfections”, it should still bear weight. I can slide an envelope through these spaces.

B936C139-EE9A-409F-A802-F032580D31A5.jpeg

B94F7E08-E172-4557-95A2-B86DD3C4DC9B.png

8D806480-5776-46CD-97E0-3CD20E12A976.jpeg

B80DC88E-2087-4D0A-AE97-AB6E844D8075.jpeg
34821AF7-E166-41CD-9727-4B63BBA64119.jpeg

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with getting the stand and tank level. I had the stand leveled on the floor before putting the tank on. After putting the tank on, there is a major imperfection on weight distribution. I’ve wiggled with the adjustable feet for days and cannot get a level load of weight onto the frame. While the leveling mat should “adjust for imperfections”, it should still bear weight. I can slide an envelope through these spaces.

B936C139-EE9A-409F-A802-F032580D31A5.jpeg

B94F7E08-E172-4557-95A2-B86DD3C4DC9B.png

8D806480-5776-46CD-97E0-3CD20E12A976.jpeg

B80DC88E-2087-4D0A-AE97-AB6E844D8075.jpeg
34821AF7-E166-41CD-9727-4B63BBA64119.jpeg
Did you get this fixed? Would love an update!

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Just sitting empty downstairs. I’m working to build a new stand, with a flat top and put another leveling mat underneath. I don’t trust an uneven distribution on a rimless tank. Really dissapointed @WaterBox

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kodock I’m building out the same tank and though I haven’t got the tank on the stand yet, I have some stand concerns too. I’m wondering with the weight of things once water is added compressed those gaps out? I see Waterbox never responded… shocker. Would love any other tips or things to watch out for since you’re a few miles ahead of me. BTW, you’re right about the ****** screws. Would have been better to use captive nuts and not run the screws into the track. Thanks

Urban_Epiphyte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick are the aluminum profiles on that stand? Asking because a lot of people really over-engineer them which seems wasteful, but I'm sure WaterBox at least made sure that size profile would hold a tank this size. Looks like 1" or less?

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Waterbox looked at the top piece and was kind enough to send me a replacement. The new H piece is perfectly level. I put an innovative marine 48”x24” leveling mat on the top of the metal frame to give it a bigger buffer, and trimmed off the excess. It also makes me feel better about not accidentally hitting that aluminum fame onto the glass and chipping or cracking it.

I’m currently looking at options to circumvent the stock leveling feet, but I’m overall very pleased with waterbox assisting.

I would say get another leveling mat to put on and that should help. I’ll post more pics soon.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Waterbox looked at the top piece and was kind enough to send me a replacement. The new H piece is perfectly level. I put an innovative marine 48”x24” leveling mat on the top of the metal frame to give it a bigger buffer, and trimmed off the excess. It also makes me feel better about not accidentally hitting that aluminum fame onto the glass and chipping or cracking it.

I’m currently looking at options to circumvent the stock leveling feet, but I’m overall very pleased with waterbox assisting.

I would say get another leveling mat to put on and that should help. I’ll post more pics soon.
Following

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, it’s level now!

There is one little minuscule space in the very front, but I believe it’s because the very back plumbing doesn’t leveling mat for slip for the back rim.. not enough to throw things off. I’m going to stick 2 cut slips and put them on the frame to see if it does anything.

Regardless, the level shows level. After filling it with the water and rock, the little space won’t have any impact.

Leveling mat under, water will press down.

IMG_5107.jpeg

Plumbing space in back

IMG_5108.jpeg

Level

IMG_5110.jpeg

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Level looks good. I fought mine a lot. The bubble was dead nuts centered but after adding water that changed. Very frustrating. When you leak test with tap water double check it while full so you can deal before filling with good water. That’s when mine shifted. These stands blow.

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Level looks good. I fought mine a lot. The bubble was dead nuts centered but after adding water that changed. Very frustrating. When you leak test with tap water double check it while full so you can deal before filling with good water. That’s when mine shifted. These stands blow.
Yea, my front left leveling foot is at probably close to max height to make it work.. chalking it up to the floors, or just my bad leveling feet technique. I’d like to re-support the corner base somehow, maybe block or something.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, it’s level now!

There is one little minuscule space in the very front, but I believe it’s because the very back plumbing doesn’t leveling mat for slip for the back rim.. not enough to throw things off. I’m going to stick 2 cut slips and put them on the frame to see if it does anything.

Regardless, the level shows level. After filling it with the water and rock, the little space won’t have any impact.

Leveling mat under, water will press down.

IMG_5107.jpeg

Plumbing space in back

IMG_5108.jpeg

Level

IMG_5110.jpeg
Glad you got it leveled!

Thizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the same issue with my stand, as a bonus it will wobble side to side from minimal pressure and seems very unstable. hopefully i get the same result as you once the new stand comes in.

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: making my first attempt at a panel. A little insert inside of Ikea cabinet. Made the mistake of cutting the cooling fan slot too high. Patching it up and painting. It’ll have a top shelf with a light under and then magnet inserts with a handle to pull the insert out, then some cable management in the back of the box. I’ll put some trim and paint on/around the screws and imperfections, so it should look decent.

IMG_5167.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the same issue with my stand, as a bonus it will wobble side to side from minimal pressure and seems very unstable. hopefully i get the same result as you once the new stand comes in.

Sorry to hear that. Is Waterbox sending you a whole new stand?. I think they just made these things too tall and with all the onesie, twosie pieces, and leveling feet, and it being the same width as the tank, there’s not much room for error. You’d have to tighten each one of these little connection pieces to do it right and that is nearly impossible given there level of difficulty to even put in.

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Is Waterbox sending you a whole new stand?. I think they just made these things too tall and with all the onesie, twosie pieces, and leveling feet, and it being the same width as the tank, there’s not much room for error. You’d have to tighten each one of these little connection pieces to do it right and that is nearly impossible given there level of difficulty to even put in.
*tighten at the same time..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back