OP
OP
Nway93

Nway93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update but wasn't going to add anything til I figured out the ulva situation.

Ended up cooking some KP aquatics rock for almost two months and took everything out, scrubbed the tank with vinegar, peroxide and ran all the equipment in a citric acid bath for hours. Rinsed it all in ro water in refilled the tank with fresh saltwater. Took maybe 4hrs from draining the tank and catching the fish to putting the fish back in and regluing corals. Very happy I went that route as 10 days later evertyhing is growing good and coralline is coming back on the rock after being in total darkness for months.

Tank looks pretty bare and need to add some more corals soon. Did pick up a small flame angel yesterday which I know will outgrow ther tank and is a risk but so far it eats like a pig and has stayed away from corals and if he goes rouge on the acans I'll live with it. Need to scrape the back glass and do a waterchange but wanted him to settle in so will update with pics by the weekend when the tanks all cleaned up.

OP
OP
Nway93

Nway93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1557 (1).jpg

Here's a older shot from my view on the couch of the new scape. The Flame Angel found a new home after I picked up a few pieces from TSA and it went rouge on a chunky fruity pebbles frag and suprisingly was getting beaten up by the springeris.

After that I really cut back on feeding and bottomed out nirates...now have a nice bubbly stringy brown coating on the rocks. Trying to beat back dinos by dosing microbater7 and clean along with phosphate and nitrate. I took out the filter pad after the reboot and just started running them again in the past few days changin it in the morning and again when I get home from work after turkey basing off the dinos. Seems to help a little. All the corals look alright and are growing good in opinion except a pink lemonade frag that is getting smothered from being in the highest light spot and looks to be on the way out. Don't want to move it to more flow and tick it off more so fingers crossed it pulls through and I think I'll start dosing peroxide for the dinos. Plans are add another MP10 then hold out for some really nice acans and 4-6 acros I have in mind then let stuff grow once i get the dinos beat.

OP
OP
Nway93

Nway93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’m fighting Dino as well. Just read that a few ppl have raised the temp up to 81-82 and it went away. Guess I’ll give it a try and see.
I raised the temp since last friday I think and started dosing 2ml of peroxide a day Tuesday evening. Today I notice the dinos aren't as bad on the rocks and was about to overflow the tank cause the pad was clogged and had whitish grey dead dinos floating on the surface. Hoping by next week at this time their gone from what I've read with the peroxide.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back