OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank it’s my first tank and is only 8 months old so take my advice with a grain of salt. I’m sure an xr15 will be enough but haven’t had success with sps with a reef led 50. I’m running the im desktop uv in chamber one with max spec bio balls in there as well. Then in chamber two I have a bag of carbon heater. Then I have a mag tool nano skimmer from Amazon that is a beast. It did take some modifications with a dremel to fit. If you are handy I recommend getting it and making it fit. Then in the return chamber I have an im desktop dc return pump and the tunze osomolator nano for top off. Which I love I had the duetto ato to start but it constantly over filled
Ahhh ok cool! Appreciate the tips. Everyone speaks highly of the Tunze so i think I'll be getting that for sure. I'll look into that skimmer as well.

OP
OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I agree with everything on this list.
Have radions and they are growing my SPS very well. In a few months my frags have competed encrusted over and onto the rock work.
I have a Nyos 120 skimmer and it has been awesome. The break in period was fast and cleaning it a breeze.
Good to know! Glad the Radion is growing your SPS well. About how long was your cycle period? Use anything special to speed it up? I'll definitely look into that skimmer as well. Also, what's in your media chamber?

OP
OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I have the Wb 15 Peninsula. I run a media cup from Kraken Reef with Sera Crystal Clear filter media, no skimmer and a JBJ Nano ATO. They have been flawless (until I forgot to add top-off to the reservoir and cooked the pump)). I just run an AI Prime 16HD and it is okay but the tank could use more PAR. I don't use skimmers on small tanks usually but Waterbox has recently started carrying and recommending the Tunze 9001 skimmer (and I know it is a good skimmer for the size) for their Cube series tanks. I would add a replacement return pump to your list as the stock pump has good flow but is not of the highest quality.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I'll look into that Tunze skimmer as well. How's that Sea Crystal media been for you? Any recommendations for the back up pump or replacement stock pump?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ahhh ok cool! Appreciate the tips. Everyone speaks highly of the Tunze so i think I'll be getting that for sure. I'll look into that skimmer as well.
Remember- Check Black friday prices going right now:
Bulk reef supply
saltwater.com
Aquacave.com

cpoynter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Well that sucks...any other light/mount recommendations?
Well, you could go with two rim mounts and the rail between them if you don't think this is too obtrusive. I have a Waterbox Peninsula 25 mini and had a XR15 with the RMS. To keep it from drooping, I had to use a bamboo skewer in the clamp, on the outer side of the glass, at the top. This corrected the droop, but just seemed like a bad idea since the clamp wasn't making full contact with the glass. I just switched to an AI Prime 16HD (that I had from a previous tank) and used the large flex mount so the light would be high to increase the spread. In any case, since you're wanting to grow SPS, multiple lights are preferred so that you have light coming from more than one direction. BRS has several videos about this.
If I were going to grow SPS in a Waterbox 20, I'd probably go with 2 AI Primes.

OP
OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. On your WB20 questions I'll defer to others as I don't have that. On your ATO, I just went with this:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Woodway:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Thank you for the info! Glad to be here as well. As for your ATO, do you like that one? I'm going to check out the build thread so I can keep up with progress. I haven't got the tank yet but will be getting it soon.
Well, you could go with two rim mounts and the rail between them if you don't think this is too obtrusive. I have a Waterbox Peninsula 25 mini and had a XR15 with the RMS. To keep it from drooping, I had to use a bamboo skewer in the clamp, on the outer side of the glass, at the top. This corrected the droop, but just seemed like a bad idea since the clamp wasn't making full contact with the glass. I just switched to an AI Prime 16HD (that I had from a previous tank) and used the large flex mount so the light would be high to increase the spread. In any case, since you're wanting to grow SPS, multiple lights are preferred so that you have light coming from more than one direction. BRS has several videos about this.
If I were going to grow SPS in a Waterbox 20, I'd probably go with 2 AI Primes.

Ahh!! Ok makes sense. Wow, I would have thought that a Radion over 20 gallons would be more than enough light! Thanks for the insight on setup. Question, with your setup now with the Prime HD do you have any SPS currently thriving under that light?

cpoynter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, with your setup now with the Prime HD do you have any SPS currently thriving under that light?
No, it is an LPS tank (unless you consider cyphastrea SPS), so the single AI prime is able to do the job. If you’re going to grow SPS in a 20, shadowing (the coral actually shadowing itself) is going to be your biggest challenge. The Next biggest challenge will be parameter stability - growing SPS in that small a volume of water will be challenging because of carbonate uptake. When I bought my 25, I had SPS in mind, but when someone explained the challenges, I went with an LPS tank.

OP
OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it is an LPS tank (unless you consider cyphastrea SPS), so the single AI prime is able to do the job. If you’re going to grow SPS in a 20, shadowing (the coral actually shadowing itself) is going to be your biggest challenge. The Next biggest challenge will be parameter stability - growing SPS in that small a volume of water will be challenging because of carbonate uptake. When I bought my 25, I had SPS in mind, but when someone explained the challenges, I went with an LPS tank.
Makes sense. Thanks. I actually visualize a mixed reef, I just wanted the option to be able to grow SPS. Water conditions/parameters are my next hurdle. Any filter media recommendations that you are currently using?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I'll look into that Tunze skimmer as well. How's that Sea Crystal media been for you? Any recommendations for the back up pump or replacement stock pump?
The media is SERA Crystal Clear, they're filter balls and they have been working very well for me. I use one or two at a time in the filter cup and rinse them out every few days. I rotate two sets, one in the tank and one drying for the next change. It takes only a minute or two to replace the filter balls and rinse the old ones. I get around 9-10 reuses of a ball before it needs to be replaced so pretty economical as well. I used a Sicce Synchra Silent 0.5 in my tank but the Sicce Synchra Silent 1.0 is the same physical size as the 0.5 and has an output closer to the same as the stock pump. I prefer a slightly slower turnover in the filtration so I used the 0.5.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Glad the Radion is growing your SPS well. About how long was your cycle period? Use anything special to speed it up? I'll definitely look into that skimmer as well. Also, what's in your media chamber?
Lol definitely a typo here I have HYDRAS I do NOT have radions.
As far as my cycle goes I used Fritz Turbo Start to have my tank essentially insta cycle. I broke down my old tank so having my new tank cycle quickly was super important.
As far as my media chamber goes I'll answer it this way. My sump has a RedSea Fleece Roller (outstanding) with the carbon pouch at the bottom and my skimmer. No bio balls or extra media.

I set my tank up in June and I am finally algae free with the help of dosing @AlgaeBarn's Ocean Magik phytoplankton.

OP
OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol definitely a typo here I have HYDRAS I do NOT have radions.
As far as my cycle goes I used Fritz Turbo Start to have my tank essentially insta cycle. I broke down my old tank so having my new tank cycle quickly was super important.
As far as my media chamber goes I'll answer it this way. My sump has a RedSea Fleece Roller (outstanding) with the carbon pouch at the bottom and my skimmer. No bio balls or extra media.

I set my tank up in June and I am finally algae free with the help of dosing @AlgaeBarn's Ocean Magik phytoplankton.

Lol so hydras, ok cool. That Red Sea fleece roller sounds high tech! I want to try the Fritz turbo start I heard it’ll cycle the tank pretty quick. How long was your cycle(if you can remember)? I’ll definitely be looking into that ocean magik phytoplankton. Sounds like a game changer!

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol so hydras, ok cool. That Red Sea fleece roller sounds high tech! I want to try the Fritz turbo start I heard it’ll cycle the tank pretty quick. How long was your cycle(if you can remember)? I’ll definitely be looking into that ocean magik phytoplankton. Sounds like a game changer!
My cycle was instantaneous. I added fish right after and they were good to go. That a big draw towards turbo start is that you can add livestock immediately after adding it. (recommended actually). The phyto has always worked wonders with me and my algae battles.

OP
OP
fishscale1

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycle was instantaneous. I added fish right after and they were good to go. That a big draw towards turbo start is that you can add livestock immediately after adding it. (recommended actually). The phyto has always worked wonders with me and my algae battles.
Say nomore my friend! I’ll be adding Fritz and a fish to help the cycle. Much appreciated info!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ll find people here are knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. We’re glad you joined! I hope you have a ton of success and enjoyment with your personal slice of the ocean!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back