WaterBox 20 tips

fishscale1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! I’m getting a WB20 cube and wanted to know a few things from the experts!

1. I want SPS so will a Radion XR15 Blue be the best choice?
2. What media should I run in the chamber(I’m getting rid of the filter sock and adding media basket).
3. What skimmer would fit/perform the best for the WB20?
4. last but definitely not least, what auto top off brand recommendations??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CE041FFB-C8E9-4A27-B8BB-09484E6F2122.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey y’all! I’m getting a WB20 cube and wanted to know a few things from the experts!

2. What media should I run in the chamber(I’m getting rid of the filter sock and adding media basket).
-Skimmer: icecap k3 series, nyos or bubble magnus
-Let tank break in before addressing media
- light- radion good or orphek compact or Ai hydra series
- top off: x aqua or tunze

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank it’s my first tank and is only 8 months old so take my advice with a grain of salt. I’m sure an xr15 will be enough but haven’t had success with sps with a reef led 50. I’m running the im desktop uv in chamber one with max spec bio balls in there as well. Then in chamber two I have a bag of carbon heater. Then I have a mag tool nano skimmer from Amazon that is a beast. It did take some modifications with a dremel to fit. If you are handy I recommend getting it and making it fit. Then in the return chamber I have an im desktop dc return pump and the tunze osomolator nano for top off. Which I love I had the duetto ato to start but it constantly over filled

danno13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1- I run an AI prime 16HD and grow acro albit slower than I would like…
2- no filter sock- I use a pad with media shelves - GFO, Chemi pure elite , bacteria media and ice cap skimmer in chamber 2
3- ice cap- works great.
4- Tunze all the way. Never have had issues.
good luck!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank.
Skimmer - skip the skimmer. The small ones don’t work well and it’s too easy to do water changes. Good activated carbon, filter and/ or purigen would work fine too. I just throw the carbon in a bag. Get some good rock and live sand and that should help.

that light is fine but probably overkill. A used AI 24HD would work well too.

ATO - I never recommend anything other than the Tunze Osmolator (not nano)

i ended up replacing the stock pump for a small DC pump to increase flow to where I’m testing if it’s enough (turned off my power head for now)

lastly, if you’re new to reefing, SPS will be a very steep learning curve and even more so in a small tank.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
welcome and thanks for the direct questions
Have the 15 WB on office desk - running for 12-14 months
Have Tunzes on all my larger but an X Aqua on this one and it has been flawless (had problems with the Tune at the same time)
The light should be more than enough..
I have continued to use the sock and use no skimmer, use weekly water changes.. tank is overloaded with LPS - soft coral

Best of luck

aquaman-oldschool.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined. On your WB20 questions I'll defer to others as I don't have that. On your ATO, I just went with this:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Woodway:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I have the Wb 15 Peninsula. I run a media cup from Kraken Reef with Sera Crystal Clear filter media, no skimmer and a JBJ Nano ATO. They have been flawless (until I forgot to add top-off to the reservoir and cooked the pump)). I just run an AI Prime 16HD and it is okay but the tank could use more PAR. I don't use skimmers on small tanks usually but Waterbox has recently started carrying and recommending the Tunze 9001 skimmer (and I know it is a good skimmer for the size) for their Cube series tanks. I would add a replacement return pump to your list as the stock pump has good flow but is not of the highest quality.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Skimmer: icecap k3 series, nyos or bubble magnus
-Let tank break in before addressing media
- light- radion good or orphek compact or Ai hydra series
- top off: x aqua or tunze
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I agree with everything on this list.
Have radions and they are growing my SPS very well. In a few months my frags have competed encrusted over and onto the rock work.
I have a Nyos 120 skimmer and it has been awesome. The break in period was fast and cleaning it a breeze.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back