First Tank Finally!!!!!!!

Skeeter4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally going to be starting my first reed tank, literally years in the making, I am going with a 20 gal. Cube from Waterbox as that’s all I have room for right now. I know it’s difficult starting with a smaller tank but I’m up for the task and I’ve done so much research over the years I feel like I can handle it. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated! I’m so happy to finally truly be joining the reef community!! Here’s my first haul of things from BRS to get the process rolling.

FC26CB2A-D5DB-4FD8-A8A8-D322784ECA4E.jpeg

OP
OP
Skeeter4890

Skeeter4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally going to be starting my first reed tank, literally years in the making, I am going with a 20 gal. Cube from Waterbox as that’s all I have room for right now. I know it’s difficult starting with a smaller tank but I’m up for the task and I’ve done so much research over the years I feel like I can handle it. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated! I’m so happy to finally truly be joining the reef community!! Here’s my first haul of things from BRS to get the process rolling.

I’m really kind of looking for some suggestions on a scape, I don’t think I will be able to do an NSA scape that looks really appealing just because I don’t think I’ll have the time or the ability to do so in a smaller tank, so just looking for some examples and suggestions!

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is loaded with ideas.

I rushed my first aquascape and made some mistakes which seemed obvious in hindsight, the biggest being that my growing corals shadow large areas of the aquascape. I'm just about to start a new tank and this time I'm going to take my time and think about it.

OP
OP
Skeeter4890

Skeeter4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is loaded with ideas.

I rushed my first aquascape and made some mistakes which seemed obvious in hindsight, the biggest being that my growing corals shadow large areas of the aquascape. I'm just about to start a new tank and this time I'm going to take my time and think about it.
Yeah that’s what I’m trying to prevent as well! I will check out this thread and see what I find thanks! Hopefully the new tank build goes well

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend you scape with good live rock. Your tank will thank you and it will make the whole process so much easier. You’ll get instant biodiversity and when people jump on here to scare you about bad hitch hikers , in a 20g it will be easy to resolve.

OP
OP
Skeeter4890

Skeeter4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend you scape with good live rock. Your tank will thank you and it will make the whole process so much easier. You’ll get instant biodiversity and when people jump on here to scare you about bad hitch hikers , in a 20g it will be easy to resolve.
I already have the dry rock and plan to use dr Tim’s live bacteria and cycle that way shouldn’t take too terribly long and I don’t plan on rushing anything

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations!

I always like using some nice tonga or similar branch rock in cubes. It allows for tons of caves and open areas for the fish and inverts to hang out. Also aids in flow distribution. Cured or dry is fine. It does take longer for the dry stuff, but this is a long game hobby, so IMO waiting through some ugly stuff is part of the journey.

Have a fun time with it.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So excited for you!! Looking forward to following along on your progress! I have a 25g Waterbox peninsula and absolutely love it!

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend the live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater aka @LiverockRocks. They are such awesome people!!

OP
OP
Skeeter4890

Skeeter4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited for you!! Looking forward to following along on your progress! I have a 25g Waterbox peninsula and absolutely love it!
Yeah I got the 20 cube from waterbox I’m really excited, now to just get my RODI unit up and going and start mixing some water

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also since this is an AIO tank I’m getting where is the best placement for the heater? Should it be in the pump chamber?
I have the same tank and my heater is in the middle chamber. I didn’t put mine in the pump chamber as this is the only chamber to have water height really fluctuate. So I wanted to minimize the heater being out of water if my ato fails or needs refilling and I don’t notice.

Back