Waterbox 220.6 build sps/mixed reef

prodman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a build from scratch. I’ve been out of the hobby(obsession) for over a decade. I had a fair amount experience but feel very much like a beginner this time around, I picked the tank up used locally. So far I have the tank in place, and almost full of RODI. I’ve have the following so far

-Vextra m2
- Reef Octopus 220 elite
- 200-300lbs fiji, Tonga rock (currently in bleach)

Need to decide on flow. Which vortechs? They are on sale so I’d like to order today. Not sure about mp40 or mp60.
Also considering two gyres of some type vertical on either side of center overflow

IMG_3993.jpeg IMG_3988.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start. I'm sure that there are a range of opinions, but I would lean toward the 40s. The 60s put out a lot of flow. A SPS only tank will appreciate high flow, however for mixed or LPS tanks the 60s may be more than you need. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
prodman

prodman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah that was my plan but wanting to be sure. I was wondering if 2 mp60s or 4 mp40s. It would be great to only need 2 mp40s

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may find this @WWC YouTube video helpful:

OP
OP
prodman

prodman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some progress on aquascape. I’m the past I’ve always had a minimal amount of rock to work with. This time I have over 3x what I will use and the added options has only slowed me down lol. I think this is the final version.

Attachments

• IMG_4030.jpeg
    IMG_4030.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 39

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some progress on aquascape. I’m the past I’ve always had a minimal amount of rock to work with. This time I have over 3x what I will use and the added options has only slowed me down lol. I think this is the final version.
Nice looking aquascape!

OP
OP
prodman

prodman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I need to decide on lighting. I was planning on new xr30 but am open to other ideas. I used to use halide and t5 with success and have no led experience

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I need to decide on lighting. I was planning on new xr30 but am open to other ideas. I used to use halide and t5 with success and have no led experience
From what I understand you can’t go wrong with radions - never had them myself - I went with Kessils because I was obsessed with that shimmery look they give off like the sun does when you’re swimming, and going to do hybrid with reef brite LED banks. The reef brite doesn’t get here til Wednesday tho, so can’t give you much in the way of a real review. Besides kessils are pretty to me lol

OP
OP
prodman

prodman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand you can’t go wrong with radions - never had them myself - I went with Kessils because I was obsessed with that shimmery look they give off like the sun does when you’re swimming, and going to do hybrid with reef brite LED banks. The reef brite doesn’t get here til Wednesday tho, so can’t give you much in the way of a real review. Besides kessils are pretty to me lol
I might look more into Kessils as I do like the shimmer that I used to get with MH. The glare from the radions is what worry’s me and the cost doesn’t help.

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might look more into Kessils as I do like the shimmer that I used to get with MH. The glare from the radions is what worry’s me and the cost doesn’t help.
Yeah they’re crazy expensive. I will say the only nuisance to kessils was that in order to get the real controllability you have to buy the spectral x controller which is another $100. Or a WiFi dongle, again - slightly obnoxious when you’re already paying hundreds for the light fixtures. But you only need one & can daisy chain the lights together

I’ve seen quite a few people who liked metal halides say kessils looked pleasing to them as well. I’d find an LFS that has one over a tank or something to see in person

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back