Waterbox 220.6 Build thread

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I wanted to start a build thread for my new Waterbox Reef 220.6 configured as a mixed reef. It’s going to be a bit of an upgrade from my current 90 gallon. I was lucky enough to find one in stock at a local authorized dealer and they are going to deliver it late next week. My tank will be in my home office with a salt water mixing tank in the basement. The current 90 gallon has been relocated so my office can have new electrical installed, ATO and water change lines installed and a fresh coat of paint.

Below is the current build specs.

Tank (Home office)
Waterbox Reef 220.6 System

Equipment/Dry Goods
Reef Octopus Varios 8 Return Pump
Reef Octopus Regal 150INT Protein Skimmer
Klir Di-7 Drop-In Fleece Filter System
Inkbird WiFi Aquarium Heater Controller
AI Nero 5 (x2) not sure these will cut and may likely upgrade to 2x MP40's
BRS 600W Titanium Heater
Neptune Systems Apex Controller System
Neptune Systems Trident
Neptune Systems DOS System (for auto water changes)
Neptune Systems DOS System (for two part once required)
Neptune Systems LDK
Neptune Systems ATK ATO with PMUP in ATO R/O reservoir
Neptune Systems AFS
Neptune Systems FMK
Neptune Systems GRO Refugium light
Neptune Systems I/O Breakout Box to control various float switches within the ATO reservoir
Ecotech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Blue LED Light Fixtures (x3) but will likely add a another
MarcoRock Reef Saver Dry Rock (160lbs)
CaribSea Original Grade live Sand (200lbs)

Mixing Station (Basement)
Brute Can 55 gallons (x2)
BRS 4 Stage 200GPD Water Saver RO/DI System
Inkbird WiFi Aquarium Heater Controller
BRS 300W Titanium Heater
Neptune Systems EB8
Neptune systems PM2 with Temp and Salinity probes in the saltwater bin
Neptune Systems PMUP in R/O bin to fill display ATO reservoir
Neptune Systems LDK
Sicce XStream Wave Pump
Pan World 100PX Magnetic Water Pump

serecheneric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the progress, I have the nero 3 in my little tank and love it, but if I didn't already have the AI lights so they could be on the same app I would've definitely went with a vortech.

OP
OP
Scott Schimmel

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the stuff I ordered arrived today. I am hoping to start the aquascape this weekend or early next week.
I also forgot I ordered the Adaptive Reef deluxe controller board until it arrived.
81EFEE00-1DA8-49B7-8262-18F7EB61BA00.jpeg

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5 is good for 13mm glass. Your tank is 19mm.

Ive faced this issue with planning my office build. I was going to do octopulse 4 (x4) with wave engine. The pumps are only 207 each without controller! Sadly, the upgraded magnet is $70 alone.

Basically I've come to the realization I will go with Ecotech or Gyres (maybe both).

OP
OP
Scott Schimmel

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5 is good for 13mm glass. Your tank is 19mm.

Ive faced this issue with planning my office build. I was going to do octopulse 4 (x4) with wave engine. The pumps are only 207 each without controller! Sadly, the upgraded magnet is $70 alone.

Basically I've come to the realization I will go with Ecotech or Gyres (maybe both).
You do make a good point. I do have the upgraded Nero magnets which go up to 16 mm and in talking with other people they basically say that once they are running they sort of hold them selves to the glass with the 16mm magnets but that is yet to be seen.

The other idea I had was to put them on the overflow which is like 1/4” glass. I know AI doesn’t state the magnets can be submerged but I have seen several other tanks with them submerged.

Last edited:

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do make a good point. I do have the upgraded Nero magnets which go up to 16 mm and in talking with other people they basically say that once they are running they sort of hold them selves to the glass with the 16mm magnets but that id yet to be seen.

The other idea I had was to put them on the overflow which is like 1/4” glass. I know AI doesn’t state the magnets can be submerged but I have seen several other tanks with them submerged.
That would work.

OP
OP
Scott Schimmel

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much happened on the aquascape this weekend. I did build a frame the same size as the interior dimensions of the tank to help with scale when building the aquascape. Most of my attention was on the office. I also was able to get the woodwork primed and sprayed with the first coat of paint. Tank is getting delivered on Wednesday afternoon.

2A18AEFB-2095-473F-BFE7-584E480D3260.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Scott Schimmel

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close inspection of the plumbing revealed a little too much glue was used on one of the unions. The pipes were actually glued together and took a bit of a twist on my part to get them to separate. I could probably easily remove the excess glue with a razor blade however I will email Waterbox customer service in the morning and see what they have to say.

4C5776E7-1AC3-4A5A-989D-C11659BDAF3F.jpeg 9949845D-A5D2-4B9C-9ECF-4CE0B2D54F60.jpeg 104F2658-30EA-4F58-9D32-6DEF3F0BA428.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scott Schimmel

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to Waterbox support this morning and less than 30 minutes later I had tracking information for the replacement drain assembly. I also noticed issues with two of the doors. One of them was warped and not closing properly and the other fit and finish was not great. I opened a claim and 20 minutes later I received another email from support that they were sending out two new doors. Customer Service at Waterbox is top notch!

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An i seeing Ginger guys? Congrats on tank!!

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of comm line did you run for your dos / awc? I’m assuming you went aftermarket & not with apex?

I am looking to set mine up & wondering where I can order from.

OP
OP
Scott Schimmel

Scott Schimmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of comm line did you run for your dos / awc? I’m assuming you went aftermarket & not with apex?

I am looking to set mine up & wondering where I can order from.
Correct I didn't want to run multiple extension cables so I followed the following and everything worked great in my testing. I used these

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back