Waterbox 230.6 Conversion to reef

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my official build thread for my Waterbox 230.6. I purchased the tank earlier this year and decided to make it an Amazon biotope featuring Discus. What I did not realize at the time was how demanding Discus are. I have been keeping fish for 20+ years and reefing for about 12 of those, and Discus are more work than any other tank or fish I have previously had. After lots of thought and research, I have decided to make the switch to a reef.

This will likely be a fairly slow build, partly because the tank still has all of the discus and FW things in it, but also because there is a good amount of equipment that I still need. The plan so far is:

Waterbox 230.6 tank, sump, ATO - Have
2 x Finnex 500W titanium heaters - Have
Inkbird temp controller - Have
2 x Vortech MP40WQD - Have 1
2 x MaxSpec Gyre 350 pumps
3 x Jebao CP-150 - Have
4 x AI Hydra 26 HD
3 x 8"x4" Marinepure blocks - Have
200lbs Aragonite Sand
~110lbs Dry rock
Jebao DCP-13000 return pump - Have
JBJ ATO controller - Have
Undecided Skimmer

This is going to be a mixed reef with primarily LPS, nems, zoas, and softies, though I may throw in some SPS down the road.

Let me know what you think of the plan so far, and feel free to make suggestions as you see fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in NY. The shipping would be a killer.
Thanks anyway!

I have started working on my stocking list and would like opinions. The list is likely to change, but I think this is a pretty solid list. Let me know if there is anything I should consider adding to, or removing from, the list. Also ideas on order of addition would be great.

Powder brown (or maybe blue) tang
Yellow tang
Kole Eye Tang
Leopard Wrasse pair
4-5 fairy Wrasse
4-5 Flasher Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Bicolor Blenny
Spotcinctus Clownfish pair
Target Mandarin Goby (way down the road!)

I also really want a Naso tang, but I know my tank is at the lower limit recommended for them. They are one of my favorite fish! I had one years ago and he was amazing. I will have to really think on this one.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that I might keep my 40b running and set the Waterbox up as a brand new system, but after some more thought I have decided that I will be moving the contents of the 40b into the Waterbox and keeping only one system. This way I can use the Hydra's and MP40 and not have to get as much equipment. here are some shots of both tanks as they sit today.

40b mixed reef
2019-08-07_11-18-38 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Waterbox 230.6 Discus setup
2019-08-13_09-08-47 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Conversion has officially begun. All of the decorations, fish, etc have been removed from the tank and the rock is in and starting the cycle as of today. I was able to trade in all of the Discus and other fish and got 120lbs of "Life rock" (you know, the dry, purple stuff) with the credit. I got the tank cleaned out and the rock in. I decided that this will be a bare bottom system, my first, since I am tired of the sand always causing issues.

The tank has been filled, salt added, and some of the pumps are in. I am quite happy with the scape I came up with, it is not real tall, but it leaves a LOT of swimthroughs and open space in the tank. I currently have 2 x Jebao CP-150's @100% on the back wall of the tank. I have another on it's way and plan on getting at least one more. I already love the ability to run crazy flow without sand going everywhere. The downside of course, being that my fish list will have to change dramatically, since Wrasses are basically out.

I would welcome your suggestions on additional fish for this system. They need to be reef safe, as I am planning on a mixed reef and hopefully a clam or 2 down the road.

I will add photos tonight, my phone service is terrible at my office, and the pics won't transfer from my phone right now.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the part of any build that is simply boring! I am just waiting on the cycle. It is moving along at a good pace, but I expect it to take at least another couple of weeks. In the meantime Here are some better pics of the scape. with no blue lights on. I also have 3 of the 4 CP-150 pumps in (still waiting to order the last one) and these things can move A LOT of water.

20190828_223208 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190828_222938 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190828_223436 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot to report. Still cycling the tank, thou it seems to be moving quickly. The ammonia is down to zero and it processes any added ammonia within hours. The Nitrites are on the decline also, so I expect to be done cycling in a few more days. I also got 2 of the Hydra's mounted over the tank. For now I have a couple Par 38's over it as well, just until I get the other 2 Hydras.

And an updated picture:

2019-09-02_08-09-33 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

MikeWatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Im gonna go with the same and im curious about the jebao cross flows. Do they run pretty quiet and move enough water. like the backwall idea, how is your flow with it set like that?

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Im gonna go with the same and im curious about the jebao cross flows. Do they run pretty quiet and move enough water. like the backwall idea, how is your flow with it set like that?

I am pretty happy with the cross flow pumps. I actually have a fourth being delivered today. I will then have 2 vertically in the back corners and the other 2 horizontally on the back wall. They are very quiet (most of the time). Every once in a while one of them will get some air trapped in it and then it can make a bit of noise. Otherwise, i seem to get very good flow with all of them on random, 100% on vertical pumps and 50% horizontal.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, My cycle decided to finish overnight Friday so now I am working on getting the Nitrates down before starting to stock the tank. I changed 140 gallons yesterday and they were still about ~40 this morning. I just did another 70 gallon water change and will do another test in a bit. Once I get it under 20 I will add the first fish. I have a pair of clowns and a couple of wrasses that have gone through TTM, paraguard treatment, and have been in observation for a couple weeks.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you all think of my stocking plan and what order Should I add them to the tank?

- Pair of Occ. Clowns - already in the tank
- 4 Pajama Cardinals - already in the tank
- Powder Blue Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Hippo Tang
- Tomini Tang
- Orange Shoulder Tang
- Flame Hawkfish
- Midas Blenny
- Considering a small group of Chalk Bass

I plan on adding all of the tangs at the same time and at pretty small size. As far as QT, I am thinking TTM w/Prazi @end of transfer 1&3, followed by observation. Ant QT issues I should be aware of in advance (ie. medication concerns, incompatible fish, sensitive fish, etc...)?

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize I haven't updated this thread in a month. A lot has happened since then. I have the tank fully stocked with fishes. Everything is doing quite well and getting along better than I had hoped. My stocking list did not end up quite like I had planned, but I ended up with everything on the list (more or less). Here is the final stocking:

- Naso Tang
- Powder Blue Tang
- Chocolate Tang
- Blue Hippo Tang
- Tomini Tang
- Scopas Tang
- Pair of Occ. Clowns
- Coral Beauty Angelfish
- Coral Hawkfish
- One Spot Fox Face
- Blue Jaw Trigger
- 4 x Pajama Cardinals
- 6 x 5 stripe Cardinals

For now this is a FOWLR tank and will likely remain that way until after the new year. I would love to start stocking it with corals, but the lights I have over the tank simply won'y cut it. I plan on getting the new Hydra 32HD's, but wont be able to get them until the new year. I currently have this set up as a bare bottom system, but I am considering adding sand and moving the contents of my 40B into this tank. I would need sand in the Waterbox because I have a Melanurus Wrasse and 2 x Haddoni carpets in the 40B.

anyway, here is a pic of the tank taken earlier today.

2019-10-08_09-28-40 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

The tank is still chugging along. Nothing has really changed at this point, but I am currently considering significant changes. In my hunt for the perfect lighting for this tank, I am beginning to regret my decision to switch to a reef tank. I have another reef that is thriving and I LOVE it. The issue is with the costs that I will still need to invest for this tank to get properly lit and stocked. MT search has turned up many lighting options that would work well, but at about $2,000-$4,000. I am not interested in going the CBB route and all other options are going to be at least $2k.

This is leading me to consider switching to a freshwater community or african Cichlid tank. I would not need ANY new equipment, and could liquidate some of my current equipment to bank roll the purchase of the new fish. I also work long hours and have little time for maintenance, so this would simplify a large part of my free time.

I guess if I decide to do this I will need to start by finding new homes for my fish.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you end up making the switch? tank is/was looking great
I did indeed. I have my little 40b and it is amazing. I can keep up with it and I can't imagine changing it, so I am going to focus on that as my reef tank. The Waterbox is up and running as a freshwater community tank and so far I am happy with it. VERY little work so I can still focus on the reef, and it looks really nice, IMO.

Here is a current pic of the re-imagined Waterbox 230.6.

2019-12-20_01-39-40 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Back