- Joined
- May 10, 2020
- Messages
- 827
- Reaction score
- 567
- Location
- Webster, NY
- What state or country do you live in
- New York
My previous post I was asking opinions on which shape I should use for this. I decided and here's the final product! I love how this came out! My new Waterbox 230.6 has a dedicated 9 gallon refugium chamber. It's 14"x16".
I love Mangroves. I had them in my last two setups. Just adds a really cool touch to have trees growing out of your tank. I would usually take rubble rock and just pin them in place until they rooted. However I wanted to do something really cool with my Fuge in this tank as it's my dream tank. I decided I wanted to make the refugium a shallow lagoon that sloped up in the back like it was a beach. There is where I plan to plant the 5 Red Mangroves. I didn't want to pile 4 inches of sand in the back to achieve this so I decided to design a "drop in beach".
Took to CAD and modified an existing model for mini character displays. Made it the exact size I need, cut holes for Mangrove trunks and hollowed out most of the inside for the roots to expand into. I printed in PETG using an 85% intlfil so it doesn't float. The total size of it is 16"x5"x4" so I had to print it in two pieces. Joined them together using aquarium silicone. After the silicone dried I threw on a pair of rubber gloves and schmeared a thin layer of Silicone all over the rock. I took Brightwell Koral Lagoon Substrat and pressed it into the rock by the handful.
Once dried it'll be good to go! I'll drop it in the refugium pop the Mangroves in and add Miracle Mud and the rest of the Koral Lagoon Substrat to get 1-1/2" sand bed.
I love Mangroves. I had them in my last two setups. Just adds a really cool touch to have trees growing out of your tank. I would usually take rubble rock and just pin them in place until they rooted. However I wanted to do something really cool with my Fuge in this tank as it's my dream tank. I decided I wanted to make the refugium a shallow lagoon that sloped up in the back like it was a beach. There is where I plan to plant the 5 Red Mangroves. I didn't want to pile 4 inches of sand in the back to achieve this so I decided to design a "drop in beach".
Took to CAD and modified an existing model for mini character displays. Made it the exact size I need, cut holes for Mangrove trunks and hollowed out most of the inside for the roots to expand into. I printed in PETG using an 85% intlfil so it doesn't float. The total size of it is 16"x5"x4" so I had to print it in two pieces. Joined them together using aquarium silicone. After the silicone dried I threw on a pair of rubber gloves and schmeared a thin layer of Silicone all over the rock. I took Brightwell Koral Lagoon Substrat and pressed it into the rock by the handful.
Once dried it'll be good to go! I'll drop it in the refugium pop the Mangroves in and add Miracle Mud and the rest of the Koral Lagoon Substrat to get 1-1/2" sand bed.