Waterbox 25 Peninsula AIO Filtration Setup Quesiton

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm here for your critique and suggestions on how to set up the AIO filter chambers on a Waterbox 25 Peninsula.

I'm numbering the chambers in the order water would flow through, which happens to be backward of what the attached photo suggests. Chamber 1 is mechanical and bio filtration, chamber 2 has the skimmer and heater, and chamber 3 has the return pump.

Using an "InTank" aftermarket media holder (replacing the the stock filter sock), the sketch attatched is what I had in mind. I'm looking for suggestions on what to place inside the two media slots in chamber 1. I'm also looking for feedback on the skimmer (I'm thinking the eshopp nano skimmer), heater (I'm thinking the BRS 100W) , or anything you think would be beneficial to add or consider as I prep for a nice small mixed reef, fish, and invert tank. Just fyi this tank is being placed into a corner on a counter so there is not a lot of space for HOB gear outside of the AIO chambers.

My goals for this tank are written in the pic, but to summarize here I'm just wanting a nice decorative and simple nano reef with maybe 2 clowns and a couple other small utilitarian fish and a small pack of CUC inverts, and some hearty easy to keep softies, lfs and maybe a small zoa garden.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Best,

-Byron

aio filter setup question.jpg

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And please don't feel like you're overexplaining anything, I'm fairly new at this so feel free to explain away your reasoning for your suggestions. If there are media that are appropriate for certain situations as opposed to constant use, I'd love to know those things as well.

Thanks again!

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put your heater in the 3rd chamber with your return pump. The 2nd chamber I would put some marine pure or maxspect biosphere balls in a bag on the bottom floor. The 2nd level in the 2nd chamber I would put some chemipure blue and your protein skimmer. The 3rd chamber would be all filter floss.

randomnerd865

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put your heater in the 3rd chamber with your return pump. The 2nd chamber I would put some marine pure or maxspect biosphere balls in a bag on the bottom floor. The 2nd level in the 2nd chamber I would put some chemipure blue and your protein skimmer. The 3rd chamber would be all filter floss.
I'm not sure I would recommend that. If its anything like my IM nuvo 40 thats where the water level fluctuates with evaporation. Could be a good way to burn up a heater. I would probably skip the skimmer unless you plan on heavily stocking the tank. Most nutrients can be controlled by changing the floss and frequent water changes. In the media basket of mine I run floss, then some carbon or chemipure, and plan on running GFO or purigen if I need to bring phosphates down. Instead of the filter sponge you have at the bottom middle maybe some highly porous bio media.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 20 and I have my InkBird heater in the 3rd chamber with return pump also along with my ATO optical sensor. I haven’t had a problem.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be interested in how the protein skimmer works for you... I bought one for my 15 and haven't put it in yet...
I'm running similar set up as you.
Filter floss/Matrix/RO8 Carbon first
Heater and backup heater second
Pump and UV third

randomnerd865

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 20 and I have my InkBird heater in the 3rd chamber with return pump also along with my ATO optical sensor. I haven’t had a problem.
Maybe I'm overly cautions, but OP didn't mention an ATO. If your ato fails it could at the very least cause your heater to fail and and worst start melting the rear chamber. I had it start to happen on my old biocube before I realized and moved my heater.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm overly cautions, but OP didn't mention an ATO. If your ato fails it could at the very least cause your heater to fail and and worst start melting the rear chamber. I had it start to happen on my old biocube before I realized and moved my heater.
I’ll take that in consideration. I have noticed even though it winter my tank temperature has been getting up 80 degrees some days. My corals have been letting know by closing up. I have been researching ways to cool my tank. I like to keep at 77 to 79 degrees. I was looking at investing in a chill solutions CXSC-1 but everywhere I look online there sold out.

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got Auqa Shield 9 watt UV in my third chamber along with some filter floss on top.
I've seen that setup before, how do you like it? I had the thought of just running a 15 watt uv externally as needed during flare ups, but would be interested to have a more permanent approach like this.

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on running an ATO. With a nano tank and my own RODI system I just plan on topping off a little each night. Will get an ATO the first time I'm out of town for multiple days without any other option. Good point on heater melting issues with evaporation for sure.

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would recommend that. If its anything like my IM nuvo 40 thats where the water level fluctuates with evaporation. Could be a good way to burn up a heater. I would probably skip the skimmer unless you plan on heavily stocking the tank. Most nutrients can be controlled by changing the floss and frequent water changes. In the media basket of mine I run floss, then some carbon or chemipure, and plan on running GFO or purigen if I need to bring phosphates down. Instead of the filter sponge you have at the bottom middle maybe some highly porous bio media.
Good point on the skimmer. I do plan on heavy stocking down the road but probably not necessary for a while.

AmyBolton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 25 penn I put the biospheres and a little sponge in below the filter floss holder, I had a small protein skimmer and heater in the larger area along with another bigger piece of sponge. I just had the return pump in its own chamber

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is because you have an ato. If you don't have an ato you would risk the water level dropping below the proper height for the heater.

Last edited:

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that setup before, how do you like it? I had the thought of just running a 15 watt uv externally as needed during flare ups, but would be interested to have a more permanent approach like this.
I believe it great if you don’t run it 24/7. I asked BRS how long are the bulbs good for? They said about 6 to 12 months depending on usage.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it great if you don’t run it 24/7. I asked BRS how long are the bulbs good for? They said about 6 to 12 months depending on usage.

That seems to be what I get out of mine. I'm using a coralife mini UV.
I had one that lasted 12 months, and another that is going on two years.

Might have to look into it on a timer....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back