Waterbox 25G Peninsula

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I thought I would post my tank here and my experiences with it. I bought a used Waterbox 25G. In retrospect, I wish I had just bought one without a filter chamber and build a DIY drain and sump.

AF rock and "live" sand was used. To be honest, all that stuff with live and bacteria on it is just crab. I don't think there's any significant benefit from using that stuff. I used AF reef salt and RO water with a resin filter.

It's standing on a DIY plywood stand. I wish I had glued it together as it is a little wobbly
IMG_1639 Medium.jpeg

I'm using an AI prime 16 HD which I hate. It seems to selectively grill some corals (especially mushrooms) and starve others (SPS). Anyway that's what I'm having for now.

I filled it up with water on the 25th of February and bought the first corals on the 26th. Mostly mushrooms, the ricordeas were glued up high in the reef and are still doing fine. The blue discomas just let go of their rocks and dissappeared into nothingness. The forest fire mushrooms nearly went extinct, only one is left. I also rescued a single clove polyp that now, 8 month later is 5.

IMG_1646 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1651 Medium.jpeg

Because there were basically no nutrients in the tank at that point and the water was sterile (yeah I dosed snake oil bacteria), I added a pair of clowns shortly after. About 12th of March.

Over the next months I added some more corals and a six line wrasse and everything works fine

IMG_1850 Medium.jpeg

Except for the tragic loss of my discoma mushrooms, probably due to me playing with the lights too much, or due to starvation, the tank is doing quite fine. I do struggle with SPS coloration and growth but my LPS (the few ones I got) grow really good. I tried to shorten the large Euphyllia colony and broke a polyp into three. All fragments recovered and are still alive. Where I live, in Norway, I don't have a reef shop anywhere near me, so I'm relying on frags from other hobbyists. I'd love to get more LPS, duncans, acans, gonios and lobos etc. but they are hard to get. About a 15hrs drive... Shipping live animals is not allowed here.

What do I do for water treatment?
I have a Jebao MWL-10 stream pump,the waterbox return pump, a heater, a ATO and a single channel dosing pump dosing all for reef. That's it. I do a 10% water change every 10-20 days.
Ca: 430
kH: 8-9
NO3 < 2
PO4 < 0.02

No skimmer, no filtration, no carbon. For a 25G it's as little work as possible. All I do is feed the fish.

My latest FTS is here (about three days after removal of filter wool):
IMG_2812.JPG

Drewsypoosy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks good. Keep up the good work. I like the purple AF rock.

I'd be a little nervous about a wobbly tank stand made of wood though. Maybe could get away with just some shims to help support the tank stand

OP
OP
Mangimi

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is fine and sturdy enough for such a small volume. One day, I might take it apart, install dowells and glue it together.

I really need to up my game on the pictures, an Olympus E420 from 2007 (?) did my avatar pic. Stock lense with distance rings. No new phone gets close to that, nor does the mirrorless EOS M100 that I have now. Not even talking about my iPhone 12 pro. Camera on that is junk.

@Drewsypoosy I do like the color and shape of the AF rock too. I just felt like it's been very slow maturing. Whilst cycling is usually very fast in a reef tank, maturation takes a lot of time. I'll try to do some better pictures soon.

OP
OP
Mangimi

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've changed position of my desk and the tank a little, now I have the fjord on the left and the tank on the right.

Sorry for the dirty glas, I'm having some issues with algae at the moment. Nitrates went up to 5, but phosphates are still <0.01. I just cleaned the glas yesterday... I tried feeding a little more, but well, it was a little too much by the looks.

Well anyway, I like this setup much more. I can see the sea through my mini sea. Before the coast on the other side on the left side of the image the water can be up to 150m deep (that's almost 500ft).

I've also ordered an Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen5 Pro to replace the AI 16HD prime. I can't run it on more than 29W before it becomes too loud and this isn't great for the corals. My Acropora still has very poor coloration and my monti superman never showed it's polyps (although it's still growing). Hopefully it'll work better with the Radion. Ca is between 410 and 420, kH usually between 9-10. Nutrients test low, but the algae is there first, so I don't think I'm actually experiencing nutrient limitation.

IMG_2385.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back