Waterbox 28.2 Frag Tank Build

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 but I am struggling to find balance for a mixed reef. Everything is growing but some things aren't thriving and I know it's because of lower nutrient levels. My sticks appreciate it, but my lps and mushrooms aren't pleased. So I thought this would be a good opportunity to set up a smaller frag tank for them. I've never done a build thread and figured I could contribute since I'm actually starting this tank from dry.
20190513_211208.jpg

I like to save a buck where I can and shopped locally for a used tank. While I love my rsr, something about Waterbox tanks always draws my attention. Perhaps because it seems they have improved on some issues I have with my reefer. In any case, I found an awesome deal on a Waterbox 28.2 w/ return pump about 1.5 hours away from me. Turns out it was Waterbox headquarters selling their display tank! I had no idea they were in FL.
I happened to pick up on the day they had started aquascaping their Eel Island tank and got to see first hand just how awesome that peninsula was going to look. They were using Caribsea shapes and I geeked out a bit because I had been looking into the small arches. Watching them stack and have everything come together really sold me. The only problem I had was the smaller shapes are only sold by the box for $120 and I only needed a single arch. Then I remembered that MACNA was right around the corner and I had already bought my tickets for the exhibit floor in advance.
received_650597122109612.jpeg

20190902_190149.jpg

I hoped Caribsea would be there and I'd be able to grab a single arch. Then along comes Dorian and makes a mess of everything. When we arrived, I went straight to Caribsea and the man I spoke with said they were packing up to head home and hurricane prep. I was bummed, but carried on through the booths. I picked up a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start 900 and looked for other arches along the way.
20190830_110146.jpg

20190903_141352.jpg

BRS was doing a sort of scavenger hunt for stamps. They sent you around to different booths for a stamp and then you turn your card in for the raffle. Tridents and a $2500 check for a BRS shopping spree. By the time we turned our cards in, I noticed a different rep at the Caribsea table and he actually let me buy an arch for crazy cheap through Top Shelf. I was pretty pleased!
20190903_141334.jpg

I have only ever been to frag swaps and Reefapalooza, so this was my first MACNA experience. It was awesome, so much equipment and answers to all the questions I had. Everyone was in a great mood. I bought a single sheet of raffle tickets and realized that with the approach of Dorian, we would only be able to stay until the 1 pm raffle and would have to miss the BRS raffle. There was just too much uncertainty at the time and so much prep at home.
The raffle ended up being delayed by about an hour so I was stressing out a bit, but imagine my surprise when my girlfriend found out I had won a Kessil A360x! They even provided the A series mounting arm. She called me and said 'you won! A tune blue something or other!!' lol, I love that she supports my reefing addiction even though she doesn't care about the equipment. I had been looking at AI Primes because of price point, wondering what spare equipment I could sell to afford a new one, so the timing really couldn't have been better.
I grabbed a neon rock flower nem and we headed out. I was still in shock because I am generally not a very 'lucky' person. But that day just seemed like everything fell into place for me. The universe really wants me to have this frag tank, haha.
received_392604504731501.jpeg

There was crazy traffic on the way back, it ended up taking over 3 hours to get to Sarasota. I posted on the MACNA app that I had a great time but wished we could have stayed for the BRS raffle. Several people replied that I had won a trident, but needed to be present to win. Haha, oh man, that would have been sweet. But I don't have an apex and really can't complain with my brand new kessil. So I hope the person called in my place really wanted a trident and left just as pleased as I did.
I was able to find a cheap used 150 watt cobalt neotherm, which I loved using in my smaller tank. Fits perfect. I was worried about height.
20190903_141226.jpg

When we got home, I set up the mount and light and realized I would need the slide bar extension because this tank is 2x2 and the rail doesn't allow for it to be centered. Glad they actually make the extension, $25...not bad for a free light setup! I couldn't figure out what the open slot on the bottom of the mount was for, but then I realized the whole bar is hollow to allow for cord management. It looks great, I truly appreciate that little detail.
20190903_141427.jpg

20190903_141451.jpg

BRS also provided everyone who turned in a card with a $25 coupon code. I was able to use both of our codes to order some sand and fish food. I went with Caribsea Fiji pink. There were a couple of free samples of Chemipure blue nano in the freebie bags too, I can use those later.
20190903_141403.jpg

That's all I've got for now. Sand should be here Friday so hopefully I'll be able to get this up and running by the weekend. I'm hoping with all the different products, the tank will have a nice variety of bacteria to start up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to run a lunar cycle on the a360X but am not sure if I should invest in a spectral controller X or wait for the WiFi dongle to come out. Anybody familiar with the spectral controller X or know if the new app would be any different than the spectral controller?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to run a lunar cycle on the a360X but am not sure if I should invest in a spectral controller X or wait for the WiFi dongle to come out. Anybody familiar with the spectral controller X or know if the new app would be any different than the spectral controller?

As far as I know, the dongle should be out in October. I’m not sure of the cost yet, but am guessing it will be cheaper than the 100 for the spectral x controller. Congrats on your new tank and light! I love these little tanks too!

OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, the dongle should be out in October. I’m not sure of the cost yet, but am guessing it will be cheaper than the 100 for the spectral x controller. Congrats on your new tank and light! I love these little tanks too!
Yeah, I was just reading some reviews of people who said an app would be better, so I think I’ll wait for the WiFi. Dongle, lol, seems like they could have thought up a better term.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was just reading some reviews of people who said an app would be better, so I think I’ll wait for the WiFi. Dongle, lol, seems like they could have thought up a better term.

Yea, it’s definitely a funny name. How’s the smoked glass in the back? Can you see the blue light from an ATO shining through the front?

OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it’s definitely a funny name. How’s the smoked glass in the back? Can you see the blue light from an ATO shining through the front?
It looks pretty dark, but it’s definitely just a light smoke. I can see my hand through it, so you’ll definitely see a blue light. Ha, I didn’t think about that. I hope that doesn’t cause algae issues

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty dark, but it’s definitely just a light smoke. I can see my hand through it, so you’ll definitely see a blue light. Ha, I didn’t think about that. I hope that doesn’t cause algae issues

Good to know. Eventually, I would think it would be encrusted with algae and opaque anyway. The dimensions on this tank really intrigue me. I really like your set up with the Kessil 360x, that you won!

OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yeah man, I can't believe I won that!! Haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed my mind and decided to go bare bottom. I ordered a black piece of ABS. If it's for frags, I may as well make it easy to clean and place frags. So now I have a question about cycling. If there is no sand and I have an established tank I can use to seed it, should I still use the turbostart? Since the caribsea arch is in there and has dry spores, I'll still have a cycle so I was just making sure adding the turbostart isn't unnecessary. I have a box of Marinepure gems that I have in my rsr350 sump that I am going to transfer to the frag tank filtration as well.

Last edited:

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed your adventure, thanks for sharing! Congrats on the Kessil score! I have 2 360’s on my 75 gal & love them compared to the LED light bar I had at first.

OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed your adventure, thanks for sharing! Congrats on the Kessil score! I have 2 360’s on my 75 gal & love them compared to the LED light bar I had at first.
Awesome! I haven't gotten a chance to really look at 360X effects, but I had a 350 awhile back over my Solana tank and loved that kessil shimmer. Looking forward to what this can do!

Did you ever get the extension slide rail for your light? How does it look?
I ordered it from BRS but it won't be here until Thursday. Waiting on shipping is the worst when you're excited to build! Lol

4evalilp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 but I am struggling to find balance for a mixed reef. Everything is growing but some things aren't thriving and I know it's because of lower nutrient levels. My sticks appreciate it, but my lps and mushrooms aren't pleased. So I thought this would be a good opportunity to set up a smaller frag tank for them. I've never done a build thread and figured I could contribute since I'm actually starting this tank from dry.
20190513_211208.jpg

I like to save a buck where I can and shopped locally for a used tank. While I love my rsr, something about Waterbox tanks always draws my attention. Perhaps because it seems they have improved on some issues I have with my reefer. In any case, I found an awesome deal on a Waterbox 28.2 w/ return pump about 1.5 hours away from me. Turns out it was Waterbox headquarters selling their display tank! I had no idea they were in FL.
I happened to pick up on the day they had started aquascaping their Eel Island tank and got to see first hand just how awesome that peninsula was going to look. They were using Caribsea shapes and I geeked out a bit because I had been looking into the small arches. Watching them stack and have everything come together really sold me. The only problem I had was the smaller shapes are only sold by the box for $120 and I only needed a single arch. Then I remembered that MACNA was right around the corner and I had already bought my tickets for the exhibit floor in advance.
received_650597122109612.jpeg

20190902_190149.jpg

I hoped Caribsea would be there and I'd be able to grab a single arch. Then along comes Dorian and makes a mess of everything. When we arrived, I went straight to Caribsea and the man I spoke with said they were packing up to head home and hurricane prep. I was bummed, but carried on through the booths. I picked up a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start 900 and looked for other arches along the way.
20190830_110146.jpg

20190903_141352.jpg

BRS was doing a sort of scavenger hunt for stamps. They sent you around to different booths for a stamp and then you turn your card in for the raffle. Tridents and a $2500 check for a BRS shopping spree. By the time we turned our cards in, I noticed a different rep at the Caribsea table and he actually let me buy an arch for crazy cheap through Top Shelf. I was pretty pleased!
20190903_141334.jpg

I have only ever been to frag swaps and Reefapalooza, so this was my first MACNA experience. It was awesome, so much equipment and answers to all the questions I had. Everyone was in a great mood. I bought a single sheet of raffle tickets and realized that with the approach of Dorian, we would only be able to stay until the 1 pm raffle and would have to miss the BRS raffle. There was just too much uncertainty at the time and so much prep at home.
The raffle ended up being delayed by about an hour so I was stressing out a bit, but imagine my surprise when my girlfriend found out I had won a Kessil A360x! They even provided the A series mounting arm. She called me and said 'you won! A tune blue something or other!!' lol, I love that she supports my reefing addiction even though she doesn't care about the equipment. I had been looking at AI Primes because of price point, wondering what spare equipment I could sell to afford a new one, so the timing really couldn't have been better.
I grabbed a neon rock flower nem and we headed out. I was still in shock because I am generally not a very 'lucky' person. But that day just seemed like everything fell into place for me. The universe really wants me to have this frag tank, haha.
received_392604504731501.jpeg

There was crazy traffic on the way back, it ended up taking over 3 hours to get to Sarasota. I posted on the MACNA app that I had a great time but wished we could have stayed for the BRS raffle. Several people replied that I had won a trident, but needed to be present to win. Haha, oh man, that would have been sweet. But I don't have an apex and really can't complain with my brand new kessil. So I hope the person called in my place really wanted a trident and left just as pleased as I did.
I was able to find a cheap used 150 watt cobalt neotherm, which I loved using in my smaller tank. Fits perfect. I was worried about height.
20190903_141226.jpg

When we got home, I set up the mount and light and realized I would need the slide bar extension because this tank is 2x2 and the rail doesn't allow for it to be centered. Glad they actually make the extension, $25...not bad for a free light setup! I couldn't figure out what the open slot on the bottom of the mount was for, but then I realized the whole bar is hollow to allow for cord management. It looks great, I truly appreciate that little detail.
20190903_141427.jpg

20190903_141451.jpg

BRS also provided everyone who turned in a card with a $25 coupon code. I was able to use both of our codes to order some sand and fish food. I went with Caribsea Fiji pink. There were a couple of free samples of Chemipure blue nano in the freebie bags too, I can use those later.
20190903_141403.jpg

That's all I've got for now. Sand should be here Friday so hopefully I'll be able to get this up and running by the weekend. I'm hoping with all the different products, the tank will have a nice variety of bacteria to start up.

Do you know if this tank (Waterbox Frag 28.2) has been discontinued? I’m searching everywhere for it.

OP
OP
Arcticwolf

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m searching everywhere for this Waterbox 28.2 Frag tank.

Hmm, I guess so? I don't see it showing up on their page anymore. Interesting. I wonder if they are coming out with a newer model

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back