Waterbox 50.3 AIO Stocking Suggestions?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am getting a WaterboX AIO (you can check out the build thread) that has roughly a 40gal display and wanted hey with some stocking suggestions.

Corals will be mixed. Zoas, GSP, LPS, and some SPS. Will also get an anemone for the clowns, not sure what kind yet.

Fish stocking I was thinking:
- 2 Clowns
- YMG/Pistol
- Long Nose Hawk
- Mandarin
- Tailspot Bleny (maybe) or a few Pajama Cardinals
- Six Line Wrasse (if not the tail spot or Cardinals but not sure how friendly he is/will outcompete the mandarin for pods)
- Sand Sifting Goby
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a Fire Red Shrimp
- Long Spine Urchin (maybe-- always always loved these guys but knowing my luck I will accidentally stab myself)
- Snails/blue legged hermits

Would love some feedback on the stocking. Looking to add a bit of 'movement' to the tank other than the 2 clowns. The YMG hides, the mandarin kind of hides and is elusive, the hawk just sits and chills so I am looking for stuff that is active. Figured the carindals look nice schooled in the mid-water area or the 6 line would look good going in and out of the rock work.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking is such a personal preference... except for serious conflicts.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The six line is asking for trouble and the mandarin's feeding issues come to mind.
yeah one of my thoughts was about the six line being an butt.. but had one for a bit before learning tanks need lids (oops)

the mandarin I am aware of the feeding stuff and prepared to cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah one of my thoughts was about the six line being an butt.. but had one for a bit before learning tanks need lids (oops)

the mandarin I am aware of the feeding stuff and prepared to cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks!

A friend of a friend who is a bungee jumper has a twist on your old take of, "prepared to cross that bridge when I get there."

He says," I jump off that bridge when I get to it!"

Good luck. I'm not concerned with the six line. But mandarin is another story.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend of a friend who is a bungee jumper has a twist on your old take of, "prepared to cross that bridge when I get there."

He says," I jump off that bridge when I get to it!"

Good luck. I'm not concerned with the six line. But mandarin is another story.
well the Mandarin was one of the reasons I got into fish keeping. I plan to heavily stock the tank with pods. Also, my LFS sells the Biota ones and won't sell them until they train them on prepared foods for at least 2 weeks of eating so I think it will be fine.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the Mandarin was one of the reasons I got into fish keeping. I plan to heavily stock the tank with pods. Also, my LFS sells the Biota ones and won't sell them until they train them on prepared foods for at least 2 weeks of eating so I think it will be fine.

That's a good move by your LFS!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back