Waterbox 50.3 Build

Chadschropp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!! I ordered mine too but it will take 4 to 6 weeks as well. Ugh! I have a WB 20 Cube, overstocked, lol, so I can’t wait till mine comes in. Good luck! Can’t wait to see pics of the process with livestock.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ordered my Waterbox 50.3 AIO. The tank is on backorder until the middle of July but I've been compiling some of the gear and a livestock list to get it up and going. Feel free to make some suggestions. It will be another LPS and fish heavy tank. Finishing up building the stand while waiting on the tank delivery.

Equipment List:

(2) AI Prime 16HD
Mighty Jet DC Return Pump
IceCap K1-50 Skimmer
IceCap Gyre 2k
Intank Media Basket
*possibly some chaeto in one of the chambers with the IM fuge light.

Livestock List:

(2) Ocellaris Clowns - Frostbite or Mocha Storms
Mandarin Dragonet
Orchid Dottyback
Highfin Goby / Randalli Pistol pair
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Bangaii Cardinal
Purple Firefish
***Open to any other suggestions on fish!
Hi! I have that exact tank. Remove some of the film from the back left chamber right after the sock. Use a IM chaetomax grow light and run chaeto in that chamber. Replace socks with filter cups which are 2.75. You can make a home made lid or order a custom one. As for the madarin, we sell tank raised and also pods to seed your aquarium! :D ~Shaun K.

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have that exact tank. Remove some of the film from the back left chamber right after the sock. Use a IM chaetomax grow light and run chaeto in that chamber. Replace socks with filter cups which are 2.75. You can make a home made lid or order a custom one. As for the madarin, we sell tank raised and also pods to seed your aquarium! :D ~Shaun K.
That was my exact plan for that chamber. How do you deal with light bleed through? As for cups, I was either going with them or Intank baskets. For the mandarins, luckily i have an aquaculture farm that has pods and tank raised as well that have been thriving in another setup.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was my exact plan for that chamber. How do you deal with light bleed through? As for cups, I was either going with them or Intank baskets. For the mandarins, luckily i have an aquaculture farm that has pods and tank raised as well that have been thriving in another setup.
The light bleed through shouldn't be and issue, assuming that you have rocks blocking the view of the false wall. Also you would be usually running the light at night while your display lights are off. Hope this helps! :) ~ Shaun K.

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light bleed through shouldn't be and issue, assuming that you have rocks blocking the view of the false wall. Also you would be usually running the light at night while your display lights are off. Hope this helps! :) ~ Shaun K.

Does the chaetomax light have a timer or an available schedule?

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be adding another Prime, an Inkbird WIFI Heater Controller, Icecap Skimmer and that should be about it. Possibly a sterilizer down the road.

47200FF2-27E0-4F46-8B07-40F12C5CA9B1.jpeg F070D533-74D2-4B2B-B789-13D1AAD2FDBC.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1295.MOV
    7.8 MB

Chadschropp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my Waterbox 50.3 AIO. The tank is on backorder until the middle of July but I've been compiling some of the gear and a livestock list to get it up and going. Feel free to make some suggestions. It will be another LPS and fish heavy tank. Finishing up building the stand while waiting on the tank delivery.

Equipment List:

(2) AI Prime 16HD
Mighty Jet DC Return Pump
IceCap K1-50 Skimmer
IceCap Gyre 2k
Intank Media Basket
*possibly some chaeto in one of the chambers with the IM fuge light.

Livestock List:

(2) Ocellaris Clowns - Frostbite or Mocha Storms
Mandarin Dragonet
Orchid Dottyback
Highfin Goby / Randalli Pistol pair
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Bangaii Cardinal
Purple Firefish
***Open to any other suggestions on fish!
Curious...what’s the difference between the K1-50 and a K2-50??

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a second AI Prime 16 and a CUC today consisting of:

(20) Dwarf Blue Legs
(10) Trochus Snails
(2) Fighting Conch.

I have also been ghost feeding and decided instead of the Intank media baskets like I have on my cube (which I love), to try the Octo Aquatics acrylic media cup.

109883209_3144804245606634_9145790891254274964_o.jpg

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank man! I'm considering the same setup. Realized I overstocked a IM20 and not much more room for corals to grow. Do you have light diffusers on your AI prime? Does it help with spread or is it just to reduce the shimmer?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats and keep it up!

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank man! I'm considering the same setup. Realized I overstocked a IM20 and not much more room for corals to grow. Do you have light diffusers on your AI prime? Does it help with spread or is it just to reduce the shimmer?
Yes, I have the 3D Reefing Diffuser on all of my Prime's on both my tanks. It helps blend the light and get rid of the disco ball effect and also helps with some of the light spill. Doesn't really help with spread but (2) primes are more than enough for the 36" footprint of the 50.3

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have the 3D Reefing Diffuser on all of my Prime's on both my tanks. It helps blend the light and get rid of the disco ball effect and also helps with some of the light spill. Doesn't really help with spread but (2) primes are more than enough for the 36" footprint of the 50.3
Awesome! Did you ever consider the Reefer 250? If you did, why this over that? I'm on the fence on both. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Did you ever consider the Reefer 250? If you did, why this over that? I'm on the fence on both. Thanks!
I have the Waterbox 20 Cube and was really impressed with the quality. I'm also not a huge fan of of using manufactured stands and wanted to build my own, which was an option with Waterbox. Doing so, I saved nearly $800 which I was able to put into other equipment. I did have to give up having a sump but the rear chambers on the this one are plenty big enough for everything I need as it's mainly going to be a euphyllia tank.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Waterbox 20 Cube and was really impressed with the quality. I'm also not a huge fan of of using manufactured stands and wanted to build my own, which was an option with Waterbox. Doing so, I saved nearly $800 which I was able to put into other equipment. I did have to give up having a sump but the rear chambers on the this one are plenty big enough for everything I need as it's mainly going to be a euphyllia tank.
Thanks for the color. I have an AIO too, and I find the rear sumps are manageable. You get less viewing space but I didn't get bothered in my 20 gallon. Would you prefer a tank with a sump if you were to keep some SPS in there too?

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the color. I have an AIO too, and I find the rear sumps are manageable. You get less viewing space but I didn't get bothered in my 20 gallon. Would you prefer a tank with a sump if you were to keep some SPS in there too?

Yeah, most likely, if I wanted to needed to dose anything, run a bigger skimmer or have a dedicated refugium I would probably have gone with the Waterbox Marine 70 gallon setup. Same footprint as the 50.3 but with an added sump.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back