Waterbox AIO 35 mixed reef aquascape

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I'd like to get your aquascape advice on a Waterbox AIO 35 gallon I'm putting together. Here's what it looks like from the front:

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 19.14.48.png

The dimensions of the tank are 23.6"×19.7"×17.7" (length x width x height). In the side view, the main rocks are placed roughly towards the backside of the tank (with a 2" gap to the back wall). The left and right side have some space for corals as well.

My questions:

- What corals would you place on the main arch? I currently have an orange Leptastrea there, but I'm thinking some easy SPS would be warranted. Bird's Nest or Stylophora? Do I have enough space, given it's fairly high up?

- If I have a showpiece worthy Torch Coral, where would you place it? I'm thinking I'd get rid of the Neon Green Sinularia in the front, and place it there, but my worry is that it's too close to my Euphyllia garden (the orange frogspawn to the left)

- I have numerous other Zoas from another tank. I'd like to start a Zoa garden like this but kind of running out of space. I'm thinking I'd get rid of the Trumpet coral in the front but even then, I'm not sure there's enough space to have a totally isolated rock. I've been hesitating in placing Zoas in the main structure and have it go out of control.

- How would you decorate the base of the rockwork? I currently have one Jack-o-Lantern Leptoseris to the right side, and thinking about getting more since it's a low light area.

- How would you decorate the empty area to the left side (towards the back and the Nero 3)? It looks a bit unbalanced, and I was thinking about something that can grow fairly tall. I didn't like the look of a Gorgonian. What other corals can grow super tall?

- What else could I do to "fill out" the structure a bit more with corals?

I think it's fairly difficult to change the main rocks at this point, but I'm not attached to the current coral placements at all. Even the BTA on the right is attached to a smaller rock so it can in theory be moved (probably would prefer not to).

Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Some small montis might look good on the arch.
2. I'd probably put the torch in the location you suggest.
3. You could scatter the zoas along the bottom edge of the rocks.
4. I'd probably place the jack o'lantern a bit higher up (mine seemed to prefer moderate light).
5. Maybe a toadstool?
6. I'd probably do all of the above and see how you like it before adding more. You have the one anemone, and they occasionally move and tick things off. Plus you want to allow a bit of room for things to grow as well.

I like the rockscape - I wouldn't necessarily change anything.

OP
OP
diabolical_clownfish

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Some small montis might look good on the arch.
2. I'd probably put the torch in the location you suggest.
3. You could scatter the zoas along the bottom edge of the rocks.
4. I'd probably place the jack o'lantern a bit higher up (mine seemed to prefer moderate light).
5. Maybe a toadstool?
6. I'd probably do all of the above and see how you like it before adding more. You have the one anemone, and they occasionally move and tick things off. Plus you want to allow a bit of room for things to grow as well.

I like the rockscape - I wouldn't necessarily change anything.
Thanks! Do you mean monti caps or digitatas?

I'm probably doing #1, #2 and #4 first.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back