Waterbox Frag 55.2

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, wanted to start a new build thread on the water box frag 55.2 as there's not much out there on this tank. I Just received it and everything looks like it's in one piece.
Not much to show right now but I will be updated this post as I progress in the build.
I was thinking about getting a trigger platinum 20c sump or the Fiji cube 20 for it but not sure I want to go through all the custom plumbing with it. I've done plumbing before its not that big of a deal but is it really going to benefit me over the stock sump? Any input on this would be nice.

20210122_103104.jpg 20210122_103058.jpg

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I'm off to a good start, seems the side panels to the cabinet is missing a couple of holes with the plastic inserts.
These should be symmetrically identical. ugh! It holds the upper trim panel on.

I did file a claim with waterbox and they are going to send me a new panel. So the customer service is on point so far.

waterbox cabinet.jpg

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share this with you guys in case you are going to use the Ecotech mounting arm. Waterbox has finally made a cutout in the overflow box lid, which is great! I was going to use my Ecotech mounting arm but come to find out the cutout isn't big enough :(. I assume the cutout is for the AI Hydra mount as it's a lot thinner.

Attachments

• 20210123_093901.jpg
    20210123_093901.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 116

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share this with you guys in case you are going to use the Ecotech mounting arm. Waterbox has finally made a cutout in the overflow box lid, which is great! I was going to use my Ecotech mounting arm but come to find out the cutout isn't big enough :(. I assume the cutout is for the AI Hydra mount as it's a lot thinner.
I believe Waterbox has a special Ecotech arm that fits. The part number is slightly different.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are you going with? I was thinking about a xr15 g5 pro

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are you going with? I was thinking about a xr15 g5 pro
I was going to use my xr15g4 as I already have it but I think I might try something different. I used all XR15's on my old waterbox 7226 tank but I'm kinda over Ecotech right now and what to try something different. I'm not going to use my mp40's and mp10s wont work with the glass thickness, so I bought a redsea gyre for it. I may try their redsea LED 90. So I can keep the lights and flow on one app.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more equipment showed up yesterday, and the new stand should be here today. Getting excited to set this up and get it cycling. I'm going to use the other stand for all my gear and apex/trident equipment.

20210127_155830.jpg 20210127_160743.jpg

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much these are, the cabinets are really cheap and nasty, you can buy better quality at Walmart no joke. I am planning on a big tank build once my basement is finished. When I do that build I will go with innovative marine, with the aluminum stands.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much these are, the cabinets are really cheap and nasty, you can buy better quality at Walmart no joke. I am planning on a big tank build once my basement is finished. When I do that build I will go with innovative marine, with the aluminum stands.
Definitely a bummer. At least they are plywood. My understanding is that the red sea stands are MDF.

I definitely agree that the aluminum stands are awesome. If I get a bigger tank I might get a Cade. They look pretty nice.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen what they charge for the cabinets? it's crazy.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen what they charge for the cabinets? it's crazy.

I got curious last night as to how my stand would hold up if one of the dogs got interested in the fish and jumped up on its side. Stand is perfectly level front to back and side to side. If I give it a slight push from the front nothing.....

But if I give it a nudge from the side the stand has enough sway to allow the tank to move back and forth enough to create a wave. These things should be rock solid. @waterbox has a ton of work to do to get these done right. Ill be fabricating a steel stand before I start adding any corals to the tank. I 100% regret paying out the extra money for the stand with this quality. I just get nervous thinking about if anyone ever leaned up against it it would all come crashing down.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unacceptable in my opinion, I was actually thinking about what it would cost to buy some 8020 and make my own stand. I think the WB tanks are great but they dropped the ball with these stands.

Update: Mines empty right now, I just checked the side-to-side wobble, and dang you arent kidding, this makes me nervous once it's full of water.

Last edited:

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unacceptable in my opinion, I was actually thinking about what it would cost to buy some 8020 and make my own stand. I think the WB tanks are great but they dropped the ball with these stands.

Update: Mines empty right now, I just checked the side-to-side wobble, and dang you arent kidding, this makes me nervous once it's full of water.
Yup I just left a lengthy review on their website under the cabinets section. Doubtful it will ever get posted on the web page. And to think this was supposed to be the upgraded version of their cabinets.

I've seen the replies to other negative reviews that they build the cabinets to above industry standards. If thats the case then the industry is in a pretty bad place..... ive gotten off the shelf cabinets from home depot I would trust more then the stands waterbox Is building.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious to see if waterbox reaches out and tries to make this right at all. But I'm not sure I would except much other then a refund for what I paid for the stand. Outside of that like you have said the aquarium plumbing and sump are all top notch and I'm happy with those.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back