Waterbox Osmolator Failure

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need some emergency recommendations.

evidently my first rear Waterbox filter chamber got clogged. Water has been spilling over the diverter. For some reason the third chamber has been low ( still investigating why) and my spouse woke me up and said the Osmolator has been running off and on every few minutes and the tank looks like it’s ready to overflow.

the tank is filled up to sceen net top, but the return chamber is low enough to keep kicking on the Tunze and the float valve didn’t trigger.

my ATO has Kalkwasser in it and about 4 liters of Kalk was topped off into my 15 gallon tank since I refilled it this morning.

Im testing salinity now, but my pH is always high 8.5-8.6.

how to proceed?

fish appear ok, worried about my inverts though

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unclog filter, pull water out until proper level, top off with saltwater to get salinity back in check, and I'd just dial back Kalk until alk/calcium are back to where I want them.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. My salinity dropped to 32.0, thankfully my ATO reservoir is small enough that my tank can’t overflow, even in this type of event. I had changed my floss yesterday after brushing off my rocks (diatom bloom underway) and it seems my carbon bag clogged that was in the bottom of the first chamber resulting in water going over the emergency bypass.

My Sicce 0.5 was returning water faster than the water was going over the overflow, so the first chamber and display rose and the third (return chamber) never rose enough to trigger to ATO emergency shutoff. So the Osmolator just kept running in short bursts.

seems like it was a perfect storm of events! Thankfully I planned for such a failure and didn’t end up with a wet floor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back