Waterbox overflow box fluctuation?!

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have the infinia 190.5 and all was good, I had my gate valve set to the sweet spot I like no changes, starting yesterday. Im facing a weird fluctuation issue. The level where i set my overflox box to the sweet spot is changing overnight. No joke. I wake up, the tank is back to noisey, and the water level in the overflow box changed a little, and I have to mess with the gate valve again to fix it.

I thought in my head maybe a snail is blocking the weir’s teeth. So I tried it with my finger yes it will change the overflow box water level. But as soon as I moved my finger, or the snail move the water level should go back to normal. I dont get it? My vectra m2 is 50% same speed no fluctuation it’s calibrated. My wave makers mp40s speed is the same as ever. Whats happening?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First try just removing the valve and cleaning it out. I was having the same issue and there was gunk in the valve. It should unscrew without having to disassemble the whole pipe.
If a snail stayed on the teeth Long enough would it cause fluctuations as well? Because I tried to put my finger on the weird teeth. And it definitely changed. And there was also a snail there. But as soon as I moved the snail, and my finger it went back to normal. I wonder if the snail stays long enough, can cause the levels to permanent change and i have to mess with the gate valve.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a snail stayed on the teeth Long enough would it cause fluctuations as well? Because I tried to put my finger on the weird teeth. And it definitely changed. And there was also a snail there. But as soon as I moved the snail, and my finger it went back to normal. I wonder if the snail stays long enough, can cause the levels to permanent change and i have to mess with the gate valve.
For sure obstructions on the overflow teeth would cause a fluctuation but once they’re removed the level should go back to where you set it. It can even be something blocking the main drain tube in side the overflow box.

Were you able to remove the gate valve to see if it was clear/clean?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure obstructions on the overflow teeth would cause a fluctuation but once they’re removed the level should go back to where you set it. It can even be something blocking the main drain tube in side the overflow box.

Were you able to remove the gate valve to see if it was clear/clean?
It didn’t happen tonight. So i didn’t bother. And also if the snail was there all night. That can cause the fluctuations to stay there till u adjust the gate valve. I tried it l. If u catch the snail on time and remove it. Sure. But if theres 4-5 of them on the weirs teeth all night that can definitely cause permanent change till u actually adjust the gate valve. I tried it yesterday.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back