OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo happy with how this came out!!!!!!!
lost a couple of acros, a small colony of PC Rainbow, and of course my largest colony of Purple Milli but that's the price you pay for moving...

Attachments

• 20220802_133158.mp4
    36.2 MB
OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220820_155158.jpg
20220815_160252.jpg

Attachments

• 20220820_155007.jpg
    20220820_155007.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test post tank migration 94% and using Tropic Marin All for Reef since new tank setup, I am adding 50ml extra magnesium daily to keep the number in the 1300 range, no other daily elements added except a few drops of iodine which could explain the reason that is higher than normal, other high elements may be coming from the lack (laziness) of media change on the RO/DI system.

all elements look good, some copper in there may be from new fish water getting in after acclimation, not going to worry about that, just changed GFO/Rowaphos to bring down phosphates

1663784181241.png

Attachments

• ICP-TEST-RESULT-WB-09-21-2022-Analyse192469.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing good, just got back to the tank as I was away from it for 4 months, phosphates are HIGH, will post pic when the lights are on tomorrow

OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for 4 months while my kids kept an eye on the tanks, also a friend came by mid trip and did a number of tests.

Everything is completely automated and (knock on wood) no issues while I was away.
Got thru the occasional refills requirements over facetime and all was good.

As soon as I got back did a battle of tests, noticed a few levels well outside the normal range, phosphate, nitrates, alkalinity, calcium, so I sent an ICP out the door, just got my ICP test, and my phosphates are thru the roof (

from ICP the eye popping values are:
Carbonate hardness14.08 °dKH
Phosphate1.42 mg/l
Nitrate125.3 mg/l
Iodineu.

Phosphate @ 1.42 mg/l :astonished-face:
Started a 5ml daily dose of Elimi-Phos (lanthanum) for 5 days, this is day 1
once my Hanna can read below the 0.90 max value I will cut dosage in half, then half again once I hit the 0.05.

dKH is another story, my theory is that with phosphates this high, corals are unable to absorb alk/calcium and thus the kalkwasser elevated the levels of both these as I was pumping about a gallon a day, I have now stopped the dosing of Kalkwasser and A4R until I can detect usage has restarted.

I may have dogged a bullet a couple more weeks and I think there would have been big time coral crisis, in all I lost 3 small and one large Acropora, 1 Chalice, 1 small Hammer, one large Cyphastrea, the montipora capricornis double in size while I was gone, but took a beating, and I think is going to have to come out, it does not fit well in the aquascape now that I see it this large, luckily I have backup of at least a few of the perished corals in my cube.

Not planning on doing anything about Nitrates, I firmly believe the issue was over feeding, fish are big and fat. And I am going to add 1 drop of Lugols a couple of time a week until I do another ICP test in about a month.

here is a quick video

Attachments

• peninsula-04-06-2023.mp4
    77 MB

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back