Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 Build

vins_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fort to put carbon in the cup to be fair , was going to put the bio balls under it thou , need to move my heater to chamber 3 but got to sort out this noisy pump

emilycoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress today with a pair of clowns added and the Jumpguard mesh lid built. My happiness with the stock pump was short lived as that is now also pretty loud after being fine for a day. I have ordered a Jecod DCS-1200 as a final throw of the dice. Not 100% sure it will fit the the return pump chamber which is too small for this size tank. It's the same as the Cube 10 and they should have taken some space from the middle chamber to give more options of return pumps to use.

2 decent photos of the tank follow, with a pretty terrible photo of the new fish.

IMG-0793.jpg

IMG-0794.jpg

IMG-0796.jpg
What stand are you useing and where did you find it?

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stand are you useing and where did you find it?
It’s an Aqua One Inspire 60. I got it from a UK based online aquarium shop. I’m not sure if Aqua One stuff is available outside the UK though?

Ocean Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a 1073.008. I put a silicone pad at the bottom of the return section, removed the screen piece around the suction of the pump and placed it in diagonal. You can get a few millimeters clearance from the glass. No vibration noise. I’m a bit nutty when it comes to noise and I’m satisfied with this little pump. Very very quiet. I can hear it when the water level gets low in that section, so I keep it near the top of the weir with my ATO.
Cheers. Will give that a try. When you say you added a silicon pad, did you mean you placed it in the bottom of the return chamber and then placed the pump on top? Not being able to solve the problem with the noise drove me bonkers so I gave up. I’ve just hopefully finished the cabinet so will put some water back in the tank tomo and see if I can finally conquer that pump!

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers. Will give that a try. When you say you added a silicon pad, did you mean you placed it in the bottom of the return chamber and then placed the pump on top? Not being able to solve the problem with the noise drove me bonkers so I gave up. I’ve just hopefully finished the cabinet so will put some water back in the tank tomo and see if I can finally conquer that pump!
Yes, I cut pad to fit in bottom of return pump chamber. The pump sits on top. I removed the suction screen and it sits diagonal. Tight fit but It is very very quiet. The only time it makes noise is if the water level gets low.

utekevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Gary777 I'll start a similar set up like yours. I read your first note and you wrote that only 10lbs sand. Did you put any extra? or you really go with only 10lbs?
Some websites suggesting much more and I can't decide how much to order. Thanks for sharing your experience, it means and helps a lot!!

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Gary777 I'll start a similar set up like yours. I read your first note and you wrote that only 10lbs sand. Did you put any extra? or you really go with only 10lbs?
Some websites suggesting much more and I can't decide how much to order. Thanks for sharing your experience, it means and helps a lot!!

Hi

I didn't add anymore sand but it does only have a depth of less than an inch. You might want to add a bit more if you need a deeper sand bed.

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gary!
Nice set up! I just ordered mine and working on getting all the equipment before it arrives….you said you have a bag of carbon in the basket under the floss? How much carbon and where you got it from? Also still have 2 squares of floss on top of that? Sorry for the questions, just getting back in the hobby after 12 years….so much has changed now….

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gary!
Nice set up! I just ordered mine and working on getting all the equipment before it arrives….you said you have a bag of carbon in the basket under the floss? How much carbon and where you got it from? Also still have 2 squares of floss on top of that? Sorry for the questions, just getting back in the hobby after 12 years….so much has changed now….
Hi

Thanks. The carbon is from Red Sea. I think I worked out I needed about 20 grams which happens to be 2 heaped dessert spoons so I just go with that. It works fine with 2 squares of floss pushed into the cup on top of the bag of carbon. The floss I use is thin though.

Another option would be to suspend the bag of carbon from the bottom of the cup.

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Thanks. The carbon is from Red Sea. I think I worked out I needed about 20 grams which happens to be 2 heaped dessert spoons so I just go with that. It works fine with 2 squares of floss pushed into the cup on top of the bag of carbon. The floss I use is thin though.

Another option would be to suspend the bag of carbon from the bottom of the cup.
Ok yeah that makes sense...now your ATO, you said a member of the UK forum makes them...do they ship to USA? do you have his link for that?

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yeah that makes sense...now your ATO, you said a member of the UK forum makes them...do they ship to USA? do you have his link for that?

Yes they do ship. Drop the guy an email. Might work out quite expensive as it's £119 in the UK which is $160, plus the delivery on top. The top of the range Tunze ATO might be an easier option in the US. The Reefloat is good though ...

https://reefloat.myshopify.com/products/auto-topup-kit-pro4

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will check it out, thanks!
Last question: did you glue your landscape? Or the rocks are just stacked?
Thanks!

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven’t bought a skimmer. I swapped the filter sock for a 3d printed filter cup. I filled it with Bio Balls and put filter floss on the top. With a small bag of carbon in the middle section the water is crystal clear.

I’m sure a skimmer would be even better but I worry it might be noisy.

Brilliant setup!! So many great tips, thank you!!! I’ve Just bought one of these too!!

When you say you filled the cup with Bio Balls, was it the Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio Spheres? If so, I would imagine 6 or so balls would be enough for the tank with the 1KG box treating over 2000 litres , but I don’t know how big the cup is. So my question would be are your nitrates always too low? If so I’d be tempted so reduce the number in the cup???

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant setup!! So many great tips, thank you!!! I’ve Just bought one of these too!!

When you say you filled the cup with Bio Balls, was it the Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio Spheres? If so, I would imagine 6 or so balls would be enough for the tank with the 1KG box treating over 2000 litres , but I don’t know how big the cup is. So my question would be are your nitrates always too low? If so I’d be tempted so reduce the number in the cup???
Hi

Yes I have used those Maxspect Bio balls. I no longer have any in the filter cup. I just have a bag of carbon and then some floss on top of that. I have about 20 bio balls on a string made with cable ties that hangs from the light fitting into the middle section. I doubt you need that many.

I do have low nitrates but I think it's because I only have 3 damsels. The low bio load is the issue. So I feed a fair amount. Sometimes I dose a bit of Neo Nitro if it falls a bit low.

I have read a lot about having too much bio media leading to low nitrates but I thought the bacteria in the media make nitrate rather than consuming it? If bio media reduces nitrates then why do people with sumps bother with refugiums to lower nutrients, just have more bio media instead? I am almost certainly missing something here!

Best of luck with the new tank. Let me know how you get on.

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fella, and thanks for the well wishes, rather jealous of what you’ve done so far with yours!

With regard to nitrates and the spheres I assumed the same as you, so I looked at a couple of sites; I’ve found one of them which was selling the stuff, which I’ll quote below.

There also a chap on YT - BeardedReef who setup a WB15, packed in the spheres andsuffered with zero nitrates. I think he now runs four spheres in it.

“Maxspect’s Nano-Tech BioSpheres are a durable dense arrangement of smaller spheres creating an ultra-high surface area media which reduces the volume of biomedia actually required for efficient nutrient cycling in both fresh and saltwater aquariums and ponds. This unique ceramic media has a unique cross-cutting surface area that creates an ideal surface for a dense populations of beneficial bacteria that remove ammonia and nitrites from your aquariums water. Some systems may also notice a decrease in nitrates. Suitable for sumps, reactors trickle filters, wet/dry filters, hang on the back filters or directly in the tank.”

After reading that, it’s why I asked the question. Sorry didn’t want to cause confusion :)

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fella, and thanks for the well wishes, rather jealous of what you’ve done so far with yours!

With regard to nitrates and the spheres I assumed the same as you, so I looked at a couple of sites; I’ve found one of them which was selling the stuff, which I’ll quote below.

There also a chap on YT - BeardedReef who setup a WB15, packed in the spheres andsuffered with zero nitrates. I think he now runs four spheres in it.

“Maxspect’s Nano-Tech BioSpheres are a durable dense arrangement of smaller spheres creating an ultra-high surface area media which reduces the volume of biomedia actually required for efficient nutrient cycling in both fresh and saltwater aquariums and ponds. This unique ceramic media has a unique cross-cutting surface area that creates an ideal surface for a dense populations of beneficial bacteria that remove ammonia and nitrites from your aquariums water. Some systems may also notice a decrease in nitrates. Suitable for sumps, reactors trickle filters, wet/dry filters, hang on the back filters or directly in the tank.”

After reading that, it’s why I asked the question. Sorry didn’t want to cause confusion :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back