Waterbox Questions

Djuronimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am new to the hobby but excited to get started. Had a freshwater tank a few years back, but ready to move on to salt water. I have narrowed it down to a Waterbox and am deciding between the 130 and 180. I know the bigger tank allows for more swimming distance for some fish like tangs and am leaning that way, but also want to consider costs so I don't want to go overboard either. Any suggestions would help

Second important question for getting started is people's experience with setting up the Waterbox system themselves. My local shop offered to build it for 500 and deliver it for 1000. I am reasonably handy and can figure out most things, but no carpenter by any means and time is pretty valuable so I don't want to spend countless hours futzing with this thing if I can pay someone to do it quickly and do it right. What are people's experiences with putting this thing together? Is it reasonably easy to build the stand or are the instructions as bad as some have hinted at? I also can't count on any help for lifting the tank so I am wondering how easy it is to lift the actual tank onto the stand without damaging anything. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks everyone

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these are that hard to put together. And if you don't want to spend the time doing it, that's fine.

I don't mean to be too negative here, but I begin to question your commitment to the hobby. There will be a lot of time spent doing maintenance on a 130 or a 180. And sometimes the work comes by surprise, at dawn, on a morning you really need to be at work. What do you do then?

OP
OP
D

Djuronimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know it's not too hard to put together. But this is quite the introduction to the community. It's a little aggressive to question my commitment without knowing me. I think most people that put IKEA furniture together have had the experience of saying I wish I would have paid someone to do this. I simply wanted to know whether it was worth doing yourself and whether that was worth spending my time on that part. Most of us have jobs in life and do not do this full time; when something goes wrong, I am sure judgement calls have to be made and I am well aware of the time required. Or maybe I should just quit, you're right. But since you don't know me I will give you the benefit of the doubt before assuming anything about you.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never put a Waterbox together, but I've seen plenty of videos of it happening. For me, part of the fun is the building and seeing your vision come to life. It's personal preference and you should not be judged if you go the route of having the LFS take care of that part for you. You'll be frustrated and happy either way!

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Waterbox tank... HATE the stand. Still trying to sort out issues with it and it was delivered in August. Sadly I think I'll end up building a custom stand because if I think it's going to come to needing to replace the stand and if that's the case and I'm going through the hassle then I'm not toying around with their stand again.

As far as the 'harsh' comment... I took it as a word of caution for your comment

"I don't want to spend countless hours futzing with this thing if I can pay someone to do it quickly and do it right"

With some things that can pop up in this hobby, or way of life if you will... A few hours putting together a stand is nothing compared to time sorting out, say dinos if you get em. If you are looking for a living piece of art, know there are tons of companies that will setup, stock, and maintain your tank for you so you don't have to deal with it, for a price of course.

If you buy from Waterbox it includes delivery, says curbside but when they showed up 3 days late I opened my garage like it was a foregone conclusion that's where he was supposed to put it, and he did. $1500 for delivery and setup is a lot, that will cover your lights, or an Apex system with bells and whistles, etc.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am a big waterbox fan. I have no reservations in saying I think you have made a good choice.
As far has how simple the set up is unfortunately I wouldn't be able to give advice. I went with the all-in-one system on a smaller Nano and it was pretty Plug and Play. I do have to say that waterbox customer service is amazing and I'm sure they could assist if you had any issues.
As far as the price my personal opinion would be that delivery price is a bit extreme.
Good luck and welcome to reef2reef.

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1500 to build and deliver? that's nuts! My LFS built and delivered for $250. If you can wait, I would wait for their blue event sale. You would save hundreds! If your space can fit it, I would go as big as you can. That way, you won't wish you had upgraded. I have the 6 ft peninsula.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a waterbox 70.2, however as mine was a display tank in the LFS I didn't have to worry about putting it together.
Will say the amount of adjustable feet on my tank at least was very surprising. It's a bit over the top. I forgot to actually check/make the adjustments until 25L of water was already in the tank, thankfull was able to adjust what I needed though.

I think what they're trying to charge you to do it is a lot. Granted mine was delivery (and set up of plumbing only), my LFS did it all for free for me as I purchased the tank and some equipment to go with it. I guess building the cabinet itself would take quite a bit of time though.

OP
OP
D

Djuronimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think the price was a lot, so wanted to see what other people's experiences are out there. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll likely try to tackle the installation myself to save a little cash and make it all part of the fun. I like WB's all in one sort of package so I don't have to buy every single thing, and not ready to make my own cabinetry, so trying to simplify what I can.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think the price was a lot, so wanted to see what other people's experiences are out there. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll likely try to tackle the installation myself to save a little cash and make it all part of the fun. I like WB's all in one sort of package so I don't have to buy every single thing, and not ready to make my own cabinetry, so trying to simplify what I can.
That's exactly what I had in mind when I bought mine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back