Waterbox questions

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am breaking down my current tank to get ready for our move to our new home next yearish.

Already starting to think about my next tank.

Planning on a 60 gal cube, and looking possibly doing a Waterbox 60.

Hate the 36" stand height, usually do 40-42" for my stands. Anyone ever raise the stand on these tanks? Thinking of making a frame out of 2x6s or 2x8s for the stand to sit on. Thoughts?

I have been a SPS guy for a lot of years, but thinking about going a little less demanding and focusing on LPS and zoas...maybe some encrusting monitis up high. Would the AI Primes work for that? Had been planning on a single n-1 gen Radion.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am breaking down my current tank to get ready for our move to our new home next yearish.

Hate the 36" stand height, usually do 40-42" for my stands. Anyone ever raise the stand on these tanks? Thinking of making a frame out of 2x6s or 2x8s for the stand to sit on. Thoughts?

I have been a SPS guy for a lot of years, but thinking about going a little less demanding and focusing on LPS and zoas...maybe some encrusting monitis up high. Would the AI Primes work for that? Had been planning on a single n-1 gen Radion.
According to BRS a Single AI Prime 16HD will *just* work for a 60 Gallon Cube (24x24x24) if you're just doing LPS and softies, they have an AI Prime 16HD video worth watching so you know What Par at what depth, etc. I think they compare 12", 18", and 24" cubes in the video if I recall correctly.

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to BRS a Single AI Prime 16HD will *just* work for a 60 Gallon Cube (24x24x24) if you're just doing LPS and softies, they have an AI Prime 16HD video worth watching so you know What Par at what depth, etc. I think they compare 12", 18", and 24" cubes in the video if I recall correctly.
Cool, I will have to check it out.

Might just go with a gen3 or gen4 Radion.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I will have to check it out.

Might just go with a gen3 or gen4 Radion.
A Maxpect Jump Light gets 16 watts over the AI Prime 16 HD's for $15 less than the Primes, and they're due to release a "blue" version shortly. Something else to consider. I've no experience with Radion lights so I can't comment there.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a single Prime 16HD over a 60 cube. I have one over a Peninsula 15 and it is barely adequate for SPS. It is probably okay for LPS but I think the 60 cube is just too big for a single Prime to light edge to edge. The Maxspect Jump that JNalley mentioned looks interesting.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have a zoa garden with some LPS in a waterbox 10, which is 14" deep. We run the ai prime at 60% and everyone is happy. We upgraded the light in the past year and that made the acans much happier.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back