Waterbox Reef LX Questions before Buying

Snappa's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys

So I'm looking to upgrade from my reefer 250 and I have my heart set on a waterbox reef lx 230.5 or 270.6.

Thing is I live in the UK and the demand for these tanks is no way near as popular over here, as what it is over there with you guys.

So I just wanted to reach out and ask a few of you guys who have the LX a few questions is could spare me a moment of your time??

Fist one being, with the size of the tank, in particular its depth of 30", have any of you had any issues with the tank leaking or seals failing?

I know Waterbox are bringing out their Gen2 which is euro braced, this obviously stabilises the tank, but in my opinion looks ugly. The euro bracing itself looks tidy, but the when the screen covers go, it looks crowded. Have any of you got the Gen 2 that you could post some pics up? The CGI images are hard to guage what it will really look like.

Finally..... Fleece Roller.... gotta have one these days right? I thought Waterbox would of futerproofed the design of the sump to allow this but it appears to be the same sump layout as the Gen1. Have any of you managed to get a decent Roller matt installed without too much modification to sump. Ideally a reef matt 1200 or something.

Thanks in advance guys and happy reefing

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

I do however have 2 X Filters in my systems which are very good.

freelancer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Snappa's Reef I just saw this as I'm updating my build thread which is a Waterbox Reef LX 290.6

This is the euro-braced version. Going to try and answer what I can.

Fist one being, with the size of the tank, in particular its depth of 30", have any of you had any issues with the tank leaking or seals failing?

No issues thus far. That said, I'm filling it right now to do a leak test. I'll have a better sense once my return plumbing piece comes on Monday.

I know Waterbox are bringing out their Gen2 which is euro braced, this obviously stabilises the tank, but in my opinion looks ugly. The euro bracing itself looks tidy, but the when the screen covers go, it looks crowded. Have any of you got the Gen 2 that you could post some pics up? The CGI images are hard to guage what it will really look like.
I have some pics in the build thread. I'll be adding more later today for the overall.

As for the lid question. I've actually worked it out with the folks at Top Lids - https://toplids.com/collections/wat...-custom-polycarbonate-aquarium-screen-top-lid

And the answer here really is that we're going to be getting 3 lids. One for each of the openings on the Euro-brace. We're expecting the lids to come in sometime in November. So, pics when that happen will show up as ewll.

Finally..... Fleece Roller.... gotta have one these days right? I thought Waterbox would of futerproofed the design of the sump to allow this but it appears to be the same sump layout as the Gen1. Have any of you managed to get a decent Roller matt installed without too much modification to sump. Ideally a reef matt 1200 or something.

That's correct. The Sump design isn't different between the G1 and G2. I will be installing a Red Sea ReefMat 1200 into it as well. The way this works is that you have to use the Red Sea Sump Modification kit and then cut out the Sock chamber.

I'll be doing that this weekend, but here's an example of someone who's given me the info on how to to do it.

That said, I may not do the full version like that. I might have it only connected to the main drain and leave it free flowing from the emergency and 2nd drain for letting some things flow through direct to the refugium for "food" for the pods and such.

Attachments

• IMG_7781.png
    IMG_7781.png
    460.3 KB · Views: 118

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, for some reason, Waterbox will NOT give their customers what they want - even after being asked in no uncertain terms hundreds of times.

Talk about not knowing your market - or just being plain stubborn - or not wanting to spend the money to rework their sumps so their customers can just add a fleece roller.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back