Waterlink Spin Touch FF - First look and review

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you ran the test on customers water sample did the ammonia ever indicate too high/ concern level

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fairly in line with what Red Sea would show that’s helpful data. The machine clearly reports in total ammonia nh4

given that’s what we’d eyeball any Red Sea or api measure pretty much it’s a little bit of a letdown the machine doesn’t enhance sensitivity very much

but one way it might be better than eyeballing is because on a thousand self reads of api or Red Sea, about 800+ (vast majority) will report .2-.25 levels nh4 whereas on seneye true digital it reads .02 nh4 on average

your hundreds of customer reads at zero really is closer to accurate vs what the majority see in Red Sea or api readings. Nobody’s reef truly runs in the tenths ppm total ammonia or they’d be mid crash. That only a fraction reported that way reflects well on the device compared to eyeballing it

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would easily be worth the money for me if it had a bit more resolution on phosphate. Still in consideration though.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the plunge and ordered one with 50 disks. I think that it is still cost effective and more importantly, it’ll save me a great deal of time doing testing. I want to transition to spend more time enjoying watching the tanks than doing maintenance. This device will save me several hours every one to to weeks. The next time consuming item to streamline will be filter socks.
What do you think about it a few years in? im also pretty busy and the testing takes awhile.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Karen00 Have you seen this?
Wow, I have not seen this thread. Thanks for tagging me. Looking at the tests they did the results were all fairly close and certainly within the margin I get when doing manual tests with salifert. I can see the reagent getting pricey if you test once a day but that's not me, especially now that my tank has started achieving stability. I think I have to get one of these. I also remember there is a German made tester in the works. Reefbuilders did a story on here last year. I wonder where that sits in development.

I want a "one and done" tester after I had a "doh" moment doing the Salifert magnesium test last week. I get it mixed and started the drop/swirl, drop/swirl part of the test which is painfully slow and I finally get to where it changes colour (yay) at which point you're supposed to read where the stopper is in the syringe to get your calculation. What do I do? I go and expel what's left in the syringe before reading it. A total "Doh" moment. I had to start all over again. I had bad flashbacks to highschool chem class (and I was good at chemistry). I nearly tossed the Salifert test. LOL I remember someone started a "dumb moments" thread. I have to add this one. Haha.

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sam, mastertronic or spin touch? If you could only get one which would you pick?
That really depends on your use case.

If you have one tank that you want to test only - mastertronic wins hands down (totally autonomous and you have control over the parameters it tests)

If you want to test multiple tanks, even ones not in your house - spintouch is incredibly portable and easy to use

ripcord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really depends on your use case.

If you have one tank that you want to test only - mastertronic wins hands down (totally autonomous and you have control over the parameters it tests)

If you want to test multiple tanks, even ones not in your house - spintouch is incredibly portable and easy to use
One tank only, thanks for the advice, loyal follower of your YouTube channel.

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if mastertronic 2 is coming soon or not?
Interesting question! What would you want to change/improve on the Mastertronic in a successor? I know the team are continually developing even more functionality and adding more and more parameters and brands of reagents you can use as it is.

ripcord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don’t have one yet, I was thinking more on the line of not buying version 1, if version 2 was on the horizon soon. I have a trident already, but I’ve always loved the fact that mastertronic does no3 and po4, that’s the tridents achilles heel in my opinion.

ripcord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don’t have one yet, I was thinking more on the line of not buying version 1, if version 2 was on the horizon soon. I have a trident already, but I’ve always loved the fact that mastertronic does no3 and po4, that’s the tridents achilles heel in my opinion.

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ability to do all these and always more coming:
PO4 / NO3 / Ca / Mg / dKH* / OLI / NH3 / I / Fe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back