Wattage Calculation for Battery Backup?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery generators you posted have solar kits to recharge, potentially making your run time infinite

Harness the power of the sun by connecting DELTA to three 160W solar panels to fully charge in just 3.5-7 hours. Alternatively, you can connect DELTA to four 110W solar panels to fully charge in 4-8 hours.

If your return was 40 watts, and the generator is 1200wh then

1200 x .85 / 40 = 25.5 hours of runtime

If you have a dc return, you could dial back during a outage, let say to 30 watts, then runtime increases to 34 hours

And if you have a few solar panels connected, you can recharge faster than you deplete and have enough battery to last through the night. I would confirm it it can charge and run at the same time

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it's this one! Had one on my tank for as long as I can remember

That's kind of my thought at this point. Get the biggest unit I can manage, conserve its energy as much as humanly possible, and when I'm low, throw on the MP40 backup and hopefully find somewhere I can charge it up. The units I'm looking at only take about an hour to charge up, which is great

I'm in an apartment building, and unfortunately the way the garage is the first few floors, then the units sit above them, so the car isn't close enough to string some cables to the tank. This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to charge the power station using the car? I'm not even sure if it would be an option, because I think in a hurricane situation I may store my car elsewhere (there is an above ground part of the parking garage, but it's not especially far off the ground, so I worry about my car getting flooded). But worth knowing at least

Regarding flooding, unless you're in a flood-prone area, the water will be back down quickly; in an extended power outage from a hurricane, the water won't be a factor... You could move your car back to ground level.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. You might still need an inverter, but that should be easy. Just don't drain the car's battery...
Ok, so that's worth looking into, as long as I don't electrocute myself not knowing any better, lol

But before I go spend what looks like $1,600 (even with their sale... pain) is there anything else you can think of that would be a better approach? I've spoken to BRS ppl on the phone, several LFS, etc. but given I can't have a gas generator in my apartment, it's seemed like this is the best option I have

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery generators you posted have solar kits to recharge, potentially making your run time infinite

Harness the power of the sun by connecting DELTA to three 160W solar panels to fully charge in just 3.5-7 hours. Alternatively, you can connect DELTA to four 110W solar panels to fully charge in 4-8 hours.

If your return was 40 watts, and the generator is 1200wh then

1200 x .85 / 40 = 25.5 hours of runtime

If you have a dc return, you could dial back during a outage, let say to 30 watts, then runtime increases to 34 hours

And if you have a few solar panels connected, you can recharge faster than you deplete and have enough battery to last through the night. I would confirm it it can charge and run at the same time
I considered this, but annoyingly my apartment window is east facing and I physically can't open the windows, plus I don't have a patio. So I wondered if there was much point? I believe the guy from the manufacturer did say it can both charge and expend energy at the same time, for what it's worth

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gas generator is most efficient. For sure

Battery generator - it’s doable but the battery tech is pricy. It’s been coming down over the years, but it’s still going to cost a lot

The advantage is it’s fume free clean energy that can be used indoors and recharged from the Sun. But gosh darn expensive to get those lithium bundles of goodness

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so that's worth looking into, as long as I don't electrocute myself not knowing any better, lol

But before I go spend what looks like $1,600 (even with their sale... pain) is there anything else you can think of that would be a better approach? I've spoken to BRS ppl on the phone, several LFS, etc. but given I can't have a gas generator in my apartment, it's seemed like this is the best option I have
I mean, there are ways to string together multiple deep cycle marine batteries and run things off those, but IMO, doing that or spending thousands on something JUST to run the tank (and not other human creature comforts) is not worth it. I could replace all my fish and coral for a couple grand...

Not saying you shouldn't do anything to save the livestock, but if it's a short outage, you'll likely be fine with the things we've talked about, and if it's a weeks-long outage, you're going to be worried about bigger things.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gas generator is most efficient. For sure

Battery generator - it’s doable but the battery tech is pricy. It’s been coming down over the years, but it’s still going to cost a lot

The advantage is it’s fume free clean energy that can be used indoors and recharged from the Sun. But gosh darn expensive to get those lithium bundles of goodness
You're telling me! I'm cringing at the thought. But I know I need to have something, and knowing that a gas generator is out of the question, it seems like this is my only truly feasible option.

I'm wondering if the solar panels would be worth it given my circumstances, though. Can't imagine they'd see more than a few hours of light coming in through my windows

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase an EcoFlow Power Station, essentially a generator that doesn't use gasoline / a giant battery, as my living situation doesn't allow for a generator. Because I live in a huricane-prone area, I want to be especially conservative and be able to power my tank's essentials (return pump and heater) for a week so I can be confident I can get through a bad hurricane and its aftermath.

My Apex tells me my heater uses about 75 watts per day on average. My return pump isn't actually hooked up to my apex, but the pump description says its watts usage is between 11 and 55. So, to be conservative, call it 130 watts total consumption per day.

I'm looking at two models for the power station:

I'm trying to understand how to calculate how long my ~130 wattage needs could be filled by each unit. Should I be dividing the WH for the unit by 130 to get the number of days? If anyone with knowledge in the space could help me wrap my head around this that would be amazing. Thanks!
From the first one you linked:
"Charge from 0%-80% within 1 hour". It also says you can charge by car or solar...

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limited-time deal: Anker SOLIX F2000 Portable Power Station, PowerHouse 767, 2400W Solar Generator, GaNPrime Battery Generators for Home Use, 2048wh LiFePO4 PowerHouse for Outdoor Camping, and RVs (Solar Panel Optional) https://a.co/d/2pZKLH9

This one is modular and it has more capacity than the one you posted (2048 watt hours) but also you can add on extra battery and double it to 4096wh. You could do this in stages

4096wh x .85 / 40 = 87 hours before needing a charge. Now we are getting somewhere. You could wheel it outside in the morning and charge for a few hours then wheel it back lol

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, there are ways to string together multiple deep cycle marine batteries and run things off those, but IMO, doing that or spending thousands on something JUST to run the tank (and not other human creature comforts) is not worth it. I could replace all my fish and coral for a couple grand...

Not saying you shouldn't do anything to save the livestock, but if it's a short outage, you'll likely be fine with the things we've talked about, and if it's a week-long outage, you're going to be worried about bigger things.
Never really looked at it that way. At a point, the cost for all of the backups on God's green earth does probably start to exceed the cost of replacements, as heartless as that sounds. It seems like the most responsible thing is probably:
  • Grab an icecap backup for short term outages and peace of mind
  • Test how low I could bring down my wattage consumption from my MP40 for emergency scenarios
  • Splurge for a big power station that can keep me going for maybe 2 ish days, as we discussed above, to hopefully ride out the worst of things
  • Have a plan either to fire up my car to recharge my battery, and/or to go somewhere to recharge when I start getting close to my limit
I feel like all things considered, that's probably not the worst backup plan? Not exactly stress free but at least good enough to where I feel like I have a fighting chance at least

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but he can't do solar... I was letting him know he can charge it with his car relatively quickly.
From website
Solar charge 3.5-8 hours
Car charger - 13.5 hours
AC - can fast charge in 96 min

Hell drive to a Starbucks in next town, charge up then bring it back home lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From website
Solar charge 3.5-8 hours
Car charger - 13.5 hours
AC - can fast charge in 96 min

Hell drive to a Starbucks in next town, charge up then bring it back home lol
Thanks. Like I said , I didn't have time to look into them very much.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll need to look into these more tomorrow... Hadn't really thought about a large battery backup and these are kinda cool ;)
I wonder if any/all are pure sine wave? Or is there a risk to the pumps like with a regular gas (non-inverter) genny?
A lot of times people use these to ensure medical devices like cpap machines don’t lose power. I am pretty sure all the decent models are pure sine wave and clean power

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure the Icecap works with Ecotech... I know they have their own line of battery backups.
Thanks so much for this heads up! Looks like they are specifically not compatible with MP40's. I'll just get the Vortech!

A lot of times people use these to ensure medical devices like cpap machines don’t lose power. I am pretty sure all the decent models are pure sine wave and clean power
What is sine wave power, for the uninitiated? Really appreciate both of your help, this has been incredibly informative

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is a Pure Sine Wave Inverter?

A pure sine wave inverter is a type of power inverter that converts DC (direct current) power from batteries or other DC sources into AC power that can be used to power a wide range of electronic devices and appliances, including sensitive equipment such as laptops, refrigerators, air conditioners, and more.

DC (direct current) power is the type of electricity that flows in only one direction, with a constant voltage level. It is typically generated by sources such as batteries, solar panels, or DC power supplies. In DC power, the electric charge flows in a single direction, maintaining a constant polarity.

AC (alternating current) power, on the other hand, is the type of electricity that reverses its direction periodically, resulting in a changing voltage and current flow. AC power is the type of electricity that is commonly supplied by utility companies and used to power most household appliances and electronic devices.

The sine wave power inverter produces an AC (alternating current) output waveform that is virtually identical to the clean and smooth sine wave produced by utility companies. The output waveform of a pure sine wave inverter is a smooth curve that replicates the natural waveform of utility company power, resulting in a stable and clean power supply that is ideal for powering sensitive electronics without causing any interference or damage. Pure sine wave inverters are known for their high-quality and reliable power output, making them the preferred choice for a wide range of applications, including homes, RVs, boats, solar power systems, and more.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this heads up! Looks like they are specifically not compatible with MP40's. I'll just get the Vortech!

What is sine wave power, for the uninitiated? Really appreciate both of your help, this has been incredibly informative
Regular gasoline powered generators give off "dirty" power (think inconsistent amounts/micro surges and dips) that can damage more sensitive electronics. Sine wave inverters solve this problem. Some gas genny's come with an inverter built-in, and others you would need to hook up an inverter between the genny and the equipment.
Look it up... It's hard to explain, lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back