Wattage Calculation for Battery Backup?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this heads up! Looks like they are specifically not compatible with MP40's. I'll just get the Vortech!

What is sine wave power, for the uninitiated? Really appreciate both of your help, this has been incredibly informative
You're very welcome. I have the Houston knowhow, but Vintage has much better info on the power sources.

If you want to pm me with any additional "Houston" questions, feel free :)

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome. I have the Houston knowhow, but Vintage has much better info on the power sources.

If you want to pm me with any additional "Houston" questions, feel free :)
Much appreciated! I've just recently moved back so knowing someone who knows what they're doing AND understand the rollercoaster that is reefing in Houston is invaluable. Really appreciate you both!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portable Gas generators are not really the magical answer either. As I have both

My gas generator is 4000 running watts. It takes 4 gallons of gas I think? And it’s loud as a tank, needs a shelter to run in the rain, pumps out poison carbon monoxide gas, and lasts about 10 hours

So figure to run one full night/day, I need 8 gallons of gas

To run a week, I would need like 50 gallons of gas stored round the clock ready to go, with fuel stabilizer added to keep it from breaking down

Hint. I do keep approx 30-40 gallons of gas stored in metal milgrade cans…but this is dangerous in itself. It’s a lot of gasoline to store in a garage.

It you want the ideal solution. Like you are in a potentially dangerous area, and need completely ideal. You need a house with solar panels or a in ground generator plumbed to natural gas, propane, etc
These run forever and are safer and automatic

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you really need to power the return pump. but rather just one or two small wave makers and maybe one in your sump if you have a refugium there. You really just need to keep the surface of the water agitated so it remains oxygenated for at least the hurricane situation. It is the loss of oxygen that kills the tanks during a power outage. This would reduce you power demand significantly and allow for a much longer run time on the batteries you are considering.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my approach for a power outage, not necessarily a whole week though. It'll run my two wavemakers to keep water moving.

I got 2 50 Ah batteries, a trickle charger, a converter to convert the 240 volt and a battery protector.

Luckily I got a mate that knows what he's doing hooking it up for me.

The trickle charger will charge those batteries consistently while the wavemakers running of it. If power is cut the batteries will still run the wavemakers and since I got 100 Ah I can run both wavemakers about 20 hours on full since each has a output of 2.75 A. If you get bigger batteries you obviously could run them longer.

Cost for me was about 150 Au$ plus some labour at my mates place.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op one question - what model is your return pump?

I connect my return pump to my battery generators to still allow some filtration and because I can run it at like 15 watts

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portable Gas generators are not really the magical answer either. As I have both

My gas generator is 4000 running watts. It takes 4 gallons of gas I think? And it’s loud as a tank, needs a shelter to run in the rain, pumps out poison carbon monoxide gas, and lasts about 10 hours

So figure to run one full night/day, I need 8 gallons of gas

To run a week, I would need like 50 gallons of gas stored round the clock ready to go, with fuel stabilizer added to keep it from breaking down

Hint. I do keep approx 30-40 gallons of gas stored in metal milgrade cans…but this is dangerous in itself. It’s a lot of gasoline to store in a garage.

It you want the ideal solution. Like you are in a potentially dangerous area, and need completely ideal. You need a house with solar panels or a in ground generator plumbed to natural gas, propane, etc
These run forever and are safer and automatic
Wow, what kind of generator do you have? That is not very efficient at all (unless you loaded everything and maxed out at 4,000W).
I have a Honda 2200i which I converted to tri-fuel. I could run every equipment on the 100gal fish tank and some small portable electronics for over 17hrs on a single gallon of gas or about 20hrs on a single Propane tank.

I also have the Ecoflow Delta 1260wh. Which I use as back up for just the return pump when we are out of town. I have tested several times and the battery will last about 15hrs running the Sicce SDC 9.0 drawing 61W. These Portable Power Station is not very efficient when the loads are small. In this case, about 915wh (out of 1260wh) used by the pump; the rests lost to efficient and Inverter Self-consumption.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this. It’s a older generator

Most of the time I use battery backup stations for power outages, I just checked and my return pump on 50% power (it’s everyday setting) uses 21 watts. I usually bump this down to 30% power during an outage which is only 13 watts. This lasts me 19 hours on a 300wh backup, providing my reef circulation, aeration, and filtration

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back