WAV pumps showing lower flow than program?

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up with my WAVs? On the Apex dashboard they will show something like 50% while the program is calling for 90%. I don't know why that should be the case. They are fairly clean and one of them is only a month old. (WAVs should be at 90% according to program)
Screenshot_20190208-152113_Apex Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20190208-152103_Apex Fusion.jpg

Side question, am I running enough flow for SPS dominant on my 140gallon peninsula? I have a Cor-20 running at 90% through randomize nozlles, a pair of Gyre 250s that are on alternate mode ramping to 100% and reversing at like 50%, and the two waves that are supposed to hit 90% or so. One WAV is below the return, the two gyres are on either side of the overflow box, and 1 WAV is on the far end of the tank.

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

I can't help with the Apex issue. Sorry.

You probably should do a water turns calculation for the DT. That is, how many times all your pumps turnover the total number of gallon in the tank.How many gph is your return pump adding to your tank? Then add in gph of flow from any wavemakers and gyres. Discount them some as they aren't running a 100% all the time. Then divide the total gph by the total number of gallons of water (not tank volume) in the DT. That tells you how many times you turnover the total volume of water in the DT.

simple example: 100 gallons of water in the tank, return pump is 2000gph, 2 wavemakers are 1000gph but they cycle down to zero and back up, so the real flow is half, or 500gph. Add the flow rates. 2000 + 500 + 500= 3000gph then divide by the total gallons 3000gph/100g=30 turns per hour. This would be good for a mixed tank and probably at the low end but OK for an sps tank.

I think most recommendations for sps dominant tanks is in the 40 to 80 turns per hour.

Hope that helps some?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that the WAV's are showing what their current power is. For example, you set Mavericks to a peak of 90%, but there are peaks and valleys in that program to simulate varied flow patterns. Sometimes it will be 20%, other times 90%, or someplace in between. I don't run WAV's, so I'm just speculating based on how I've seen my varspd outlets read for my Tunze pumps.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that the WAV's are showing what their current power is. For example, you set Mavericks to a peak of 90%, but there are peaks and valleys in that program to simulate varied flow patterns. Sometimes it will be 20%, other times 90%, or someplace in between. I don't run WAV's, so I'm just speculating based on how I've seen my varspd outlets read for my Tunze pumps.
That sounds reasonable.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back