Wave Line Puck & Controller

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was second away from ordering one of these to replace my MP40 so I could take it to my frag tank... But after reading Jake Adams review, wow, he tore that poor pump a new one. I usually like quality over price, but this seemed to be a great balance. Tagging along to see what the other reefers in this thread think of theres once they have some time to play with them. In the mean time I bought 4x1350gph sunsun water pumps for $34 (Yes about $8 per pump), they are loud an will probably only last a couple months, but for now they will keep my water moving until I make a decision.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't notice the issues Jake had with it. It's a decent pump controllable by apex.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@305Reefer I'm having fun with it and is a solid cost alternative w/the APEX interface. Since I started this thread I see more of the premium retailers carrying this and haven't heard anything negative from anyone who
actually purchased this. If you are truly gun-shy with $130 then purchase off ebay and grab the squaretrade 2 year warranty:cool:
Today Aqua Nerd Posted a video review on this so check it out.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this pump, and from my experience in a few days of running, this pump is perfect for my setup. I am running at 30% with 3 secs on and 1 sec off. Sends a perfect wide stream throughout the tank. The pump is dead silent, so far even at 60% no noise. The controller is nice, easy to understand and simple programming features. I like that I can set it with ease on running from 7 am to 10 pm, I like this feature. It has on board time that allows this feature to work. Easy on and off back lighting dedicated button, and 30 min feed mode button as well. Not sure about Jake's writeup, but I have used every powerhead out there, this is quiet and simple. No major pulse modes, you set those intervals based on the size of your tank, but easy to program, can swivel, the pump comes out of the tank without pulling apart magnets(they stay in place), and the pump can swivel, unlike mp40.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this pump, and from my experience in a few days of running, this pump is perfect for my setup. I am running at 30% with 3 secs on and 1 sec off. Sends a perfect wide stream throughout the tank. The pump is dead silent, so far even at 60% no noise. The controller is nice, easy to understand and simple programming features. I like that I can set it with ease on running from 7 am to 10 pm, I like this feature. It has on board time that allows this feature to work. Easy on and off back lighting dedicated button, and 30 min feed mode button as well. Not sure about Jake's writeup, but I have used every powerhead out there, this is quiet and simple. No major pulse modes, you set those intervals based on the size of your tank, but easy to program, can swivel, the pump comes out of the tank without pulling apart magnets(they stay in place), and the pump can swivel, unlike mp40.

@Perry , Thanks for your input and informative review. I am going to try the short cycle like yours.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy my pleasure :) I respect the "you know what" out of Jake, but I am not seeing anything but brilliance with this pump. It is not techie, but does offer the controllable features that pertain to keeping aquariums healthy. I am at 3 secs on and 1 off, that is for 24" cube, I would suspect that a larger setup would need longer intervals, you just have to play around with the settings to get the wave you want. I have not tried to create a definitive wave, but I would imagine in about 20 minutes or so, I could easily accomplish this. My tank is mainly softies, some lps, and a few stonies, but they are all small. This pump is quite powerful, and now down to 20% to keep all corals happy. With time, as the coral frags become colonies, I can easily up the flow, I imagine for my setup, I will be more than sufficient with only the one pump. Again, I can not understate how quiet this pump is, by far more quiet than tunze and eco tech pumps I have used in the past. The flow pattern is very wide, I also love this. For the price, I have no concerns about the pump, and have no problem replacing should it fail after warranty. I am highly impressed with the build on this, the controller is solid, not cheapy plastic, and the wires are heavy gauge. Very happy customer :)

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will be more than sufficient with only the one pump. Again, I can not understate how quiet this pump is, by far more quiet than tunze and eco tech pumps
I couldn't agree more, the wide flow is blasting my hammers and torches in the center of the tank at 60% and had to turn down, I am still on a 15sec on 4 off going to try 5 & 5

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's an awesome pump for the price. I haven't tried pulse using the apex.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to see the pump was a good buy! think two would be decent for a 48x24x24 120gallon sps dominate?
@scuzy is running two , not sure his tank size or corals. My 48"x 18" has plenty of flow now. In yours I would think you would have some crazy turbulence in the center of the tank. If you look at my tank(above) the wide
flow pattern hits the bottom at the center (2') Right now I have the impression that it's like a ring of flow, 2 opposing on an apex and moving the flow back and forth would probably be your ticket.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to see the pump was a good buy! think two would be decent for a 48x24x24 120gallon sps dominate?

When I had a SPS dominate 120 standard, I used two mp40's, 1 gyre 150, and one Korilla 4, which was a ton of flow, but my colonies were basketball size, so tons of flow required. I would imagine this will work until you have larger sps colonies, I would guess with frags, 2 are no problem, but 3 or 4 as the corals become huge. Again, in my 24x24" tank, I see no reason to have more than one until the corals become larger, mine running at 20% at the moment :)

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The negative reviews I read had nothing to do with flow or design, they were mostly discussing poor build quality and some noises after a few weeks running. Im still curious about them and hearing you guys talk about them makes me want to check one out. The idea of getting a squaretrade warranty is pretty smart. I may reconsider and get one, more positive reviews seem to be surfacing.

Last edited:

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice no noise so not sure where that came from.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@305Reefer I have not seen the reviews, but will look today. If you could find them and post here I would appreciate it. As for the Sq-trade I have never had to use it (claim) but it's a Murphy thing.

To be totally honest Saturday I did a WC and some tank maintenance. Nobody was home and it was totally quiet in the house, I turned off the return, and the mp40 and left the puck on,
it was then I could hear it running...barely..it was then i also recalled someone calling it a gentle flow and I couldn't agree more.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I have to say that my pump is not working, after less than a week, ugh... @premiumaquatics just ordered through you guys, do you cover at less than a week after purchase? Please message me or I will contact Jason I guess, maybe I will switch out to something like a tunze, this is not good!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back