Wave Maker Positioning

Simon_Goffen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am really worried about my wave maker positioning. I have tried various placements but am not satisfied with the flow..i feel am doing something wrong. I have jebao RW 4 wavemaker and jebao cross flow CP 25..for now am using only RW 4..as one of the propeller for CP 25 has stopped working..where would be the ideal position to place the jebao RW4..am waiting for a Jeabo RW 8 which will be in hand in a month or so. For now i want to find a ideal place for RW 4...my tank is 40gallon..1 meter in length..the return flow is pretty descent but not too strong. I have attached image for reference.the red arrows in the image indicate the water inlet and water outlet placement . Thank you.

20200821_132518.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place the wave maker on the opposite side of the return on the side glass panel until you get other one going.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Ive down which may work for you is put my power heads near the top (like 4 inches below water line) on the left glass panel and turn the return flow to the same direction. This creates a diy gyre and gives great flow throughout the tank and rock work. If you need more push- add another power head to the same side. That’s what’s worked for me. I have a 6 foot tank and struggled to get good circulation and flow with 2 returns and 4 power heads. Creating a gyre- while you don’t get chaotic flow- gets great circulation from top to bottom and it’s easy to dial up or down or add/remove pumps without being super picky about getting your pumps back in the right place. Put your lower down corals near the left bottom, the higher flow ones in the direct path or near the right far panel. They get hit with flow from the left and the back flow from hitting the right glass panel and circling back. At least I. My tank :)

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am really worried about my wave maker positioning. I have tried various placements but am not satisfied with the flow..i feel am doing something wrong. I have jebao RW 4 wavemaker and jebao cross flow CP 25..for now am using only RW 4..as one of the propeller for CP 25 has stopped working..where would be the ideal position to place the jebao RW4..am waiting for a Jeabo RW 8 which will be in hand in a month or so. For now i want to find a ideal place for RW 4...my tank is 40gallon..1 meter in length..the return flow is pretty descent but not too strong. I have attached image for reference.the red arrows in the image indicate the water inlet and water outlet placement . Thank you.

20200821_132518.jpg

Sometimes it's not because of WM positioning; could be the capacity of the wave maker and also the setting of pulse duration. Other variables are aqua scape, type of coral you keep, substrate you use, etc.

With pulse DC wave maker, there's no need that the stream should reach to the other end in one burst. You have to dial the frequency of pulse in order to have a constructive interference from the wave maker with the bouncing wave; or between two opposing wave makers. Therefore some wavemakers like ecotech MPs that cannot be tiled to the surface, still can make a good ripple on the surface because of this constructive interference. Sometimes a very short pulse is required for a primary constructive interference to happen. Bigger capacity of WM, like RW8 for your tank would be easier to get the interference. If the wave is too much, then you can dial down the intensity but don't change the pulse frequency.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back