Wave maker recommendations please

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reefer 250 has 2 jebao wave makers at the moment which produce enough flow for my LPS and zoas.
However, I have recently started adding some sps and need to add more flow.
I really like the look of the Nero 5 but reports of fish deaths as a result of getting sucked in has put me off.
Then there is the MP10 but I'm not in the position to buy the Reeflink to go with it.
Are there any other pumps I should be looking at in the $250 maximum bracket?

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the maxspect gyres. They can move a lot of water, eliminate dead zones and create a flow pattern that I’ve found sps corals like.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a Reeflink or an Apex WXM to run Vortechs. They come pre programmed will quite a few modes. ie: reefcrest, lagoon, constant, pulse.

9823A999-AA6C-434C-876D-85827318EAFF.jpeg

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to add that my maxspect gyres haven’t begun to be as problem free as my vortechs. I have some vortechs that are 12 yrs old without any problems and as previously mentioned they are preprogrammed. I’ve never owned any tunzes but I know they build quality products.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been the life cycle for me on pumps -

• Started the tank with an MP10, swapped that out to a MP40.
  • Swapped the MP40 out for two Gyre 230's
  • Swapped the Gyres out for 2 MP10's
  • Added Two Tunze 6040's
  • Now I run a single Jebao PP15 (I meant to order the PP8)
My thoughts -

Vortech ran silent and easy to clean. If you go with MP10's use the cord holders, I had issues with the Reefer250 holding the wet and dry side together.

Gyre's were a little on the loud side, I had no issues cleaning them. I ran them in vinegar often to keep them clean and not take them apart.

The Tunze pumps were SILENT and complete work horses! Cleaning the 6040's was simple and directing the flow was easy done by twisting the top cap.

I've only been running the PP15 for a few weeks, this isn't my first go around with Jebao, on this tank it is though. Why am I now running this pump over the other brands.... Price! I've removed all the unnecessary equipment off my tank in an effort to really keep it "simple" AND CHEAP!

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I had never given Tunze a thought. I will have a look at their range. Any recommendations for model and size? I'd like them to be controllable.
I've read reports of the MP10 magnets not holding on a Reefer 250 which is off putting.
@pelphrey I've watched your journey from day 1. I'll be interested on your thoughts on the jabao's.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back