Wave pump advice

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking around for an eFlux wave pump to go with the Current USA light and Loop controller I already have, but I can't seem to find any for a reasonable price. Does anyone know if there are other cheaper pumps (price not quality) that are compatible with my current setup so I could actually put it on a timer and whatnot, rather than just keeping it on full blast all the time?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eFlux Wave pumps are only $70-$120. Really not out of line for controllable pumps. How big is your tank?

OP
OP
shartpants007

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eFlux Wave pumps are only $70-$120. Really not out of line for controllable pumps. How big is your tank?
My tank's only 20 gallons, so I'd have to use the 660 gph one, which is the smallest they offer. I was really just looking for something used, but can't find any at all. The thing is, a lot of people in this hobby seem to be pretty well off financially, so they don't think twice when dropping $70, but it's quite a bit for a little underwater fan with mixed reviews.

OP
OP
shartpants007

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's only 20 gallons, so I'd have to use the 660 gph one, which is the smallest they offer. I was really just looking for something used, but can't find any at all. The thing is, a lot of people in this hobby seem to be pretty well off financially, so they don't think twice when dropping $70, but it's quite a bit for a little underwater fan with mixed reviews.
Hey, I didn't mean for this message to come off as harsh, so sorry if it did. I just have a limited budget, so I try to be as thrifty as possible. There's probably nothing cross compatible though, right? Even if I did go with the eFlux, there's a worrying number of people who report those pumps failing after about a year.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby, I've found very few items that I would consider cheap and also reliable. Considering I have thousands invested in corals and fish, I don't skimp on my gear. Remember, it's a life support system for the animals you chose to care for.
Yes, there are some ways to save money. And I'm all for that. Wavemakers, lights, pumps and a few other things are so important to these animals that I don't skimp there. Do I have a crazy cheap doser? Yup! Works great! Do I have stupid expensive lights? Yup! Works great! Do I have a used tank that helped me save crazy money so I could buy some of the pricier things? Yup!

OP
OP
shartpants007

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will go with the eFlux pumps then. Either them or the Jebao sw2, though the Jebao doesn't seem as high quality. Do you know, for the eFlux, do I need also to buy the wave pump hub or can I plug into the lighting hub directly?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will go with the eFlux pumps then. Either them or the Jebao sw2, though the Jebao doesn't seem as high quality. Do you know, for the eFlux, do I need also to buy the wave pump hub or can I plug into the lighting hub directly?
Best of luck! I don't know the Current system (I run an Apex), so I can't help with getting your pumps to work with the hub.

OP
OP
shartpants007

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! I don't know the Current system (I run an Apex), so I can't help with getting your pumps to work with the hub.
Alright. Thanks. Just for future reference, what dosing system do you use? I'm only keeping soft corals for now, so I don't need one, but perhaps I will eventually. I'd be more afraid of a cheap doser then a cheap wave pump, but if you say it works great, I believe you.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Thanks. Just for future reference, what dosing system do you use? I'm only keeping soft corals for now, so I don't need one, but perhaps I will eventually. I'd be more afraid of a cheap doser then a cheap wave pump, but if you say it works great, I believe you.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people put Jebao in the "cheap garbage" category but in my experience they are good affordable pumps. I have 2 wave makers and a return pump and the only failure I've had in 2 years was the return pump getting a snail James in the impeller.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a korallia if ur gonna get a cheap pump. Controllability is like buying a car with a boom box speaker system. Kool. But the other car worked just fine ty.
Lol
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason it seems ppl have a lot of money is because we spend a lot of money on our tanks. Equipment. Livestock. Its our money pit.
The equipment and water being #1.
The rest will.follow.
D

OP
OP
shartpants007

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people put Jebao in the "cheap garbage" category but in my experience they are good affordable pumps. I have 2 wave makers and a return pump and the only failure I've had in 2 years was the return pump getting a snail James in the impeller.
Yeah. I was seriously considering one, I just figured I already had the rest of the Current stuff. Also, the eFlux came with the little foam guard, which I wanted. I'm sure it would have been fine if I had gotten a Jebao, though.

OP
OP
shartpants007

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a korallia if ur gonna get a cheap pump. Controllability is like buying a car with a boom box speaker system. Kool. But the other car worked just fine ty.
Lol
D
I was looking at one of them too. I rather wanted some wave action rather than constant laminar flow, though.

Back