Wavemaker gph for 29g?

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm running a 29 gallon system with an aquaclear 70 for the filter. It is on the side, so its flow goes through the length of the tank. It makes waves throughout the entire surface of the tank, from right to left, but I am concerned it's not getting to the bottom of the tank. For example, when a piece of mysis falls to the bottom of the tank in the middle, the flow does not move it.

My question to you is: what gph wavemaker should I get, and where should I put it?

(I am a highschooler on a budget....)

Circled my filter output in red and the yellow arrow is the direction of flow. It crosses the whole length of the tank (30")
20190107_171503.jpeg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pair of Tunze 6015. They drop down to $35 or less on Amazon. You cannot get a more reliable and affordable pump.

People will recommend Jebao. Don't get them.

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pair of Tunze 6015. They drop down to $35 or less on Amazon. You cannot get a more reliable and affordable pump.

People will recommend Jebao. Don't get them.
The tunze only does 475g per hour, and the jebao has a controller + it looks better IMO. Why do you recommend against one?

Friend has one on a 29g (the jebao ow-10) and he loves it.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a Tunze 6040 if you want something small, adjustable, affordable, and backed by the best customer service in the industry.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze only does 475g per hour, and the jebao has a controller + it looks better IMO. Why do you recommend against one?

Friend has one on a 29g (the jebao ow-10) and he loves it.

Tunze dramatically under-reports their GPH. I have a few 6015 lying around and put one against a sicce 1600gph pump in a 4' tub full of live rock. I asked everyone who came over to guess which one was stronger. They picked the Tunze every single time.

Additionally, you can do a very basic modification to the tunze to make it outrageously more powerful -- It's just the lid.

Jebao are crap that breaks down. And controllers don't add much, it's unnecessary fluff when compared to a good pump. I've had Jebao, they are absolute junk, and I wish them upon nobody.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back