Wavemaker placement

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved my wavemaker like musical chairs and the reality is I'm not sure which position is best - curious where you install your's - same side as the output flow, opposite side, etc.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally point my powerhead to where it was shoving water towards my overflow. It would make sense to me that you want to shove any detritus towards your filtration not away from it.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally point my powerhead to where it was shoving water towards my overflow. It would make sense to me that you want to shove any detritus towards your filtration not away from it.
Yup, I had it placed opposite directly pointing towards the water filter intake vent (overflow) originally, but not knowing better, took advice from many that said I should put it on the same glass were the pump output is - that seems to be the most 'popular', which doesn't make it correct!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I had it placed opposite directly pointing towards the water filter intake vent (overflow) originally, but not knowing better, took advice from many that said I should put it on the same glass were the pump output is - that seems to be the most 'popular', which doesn't make it correct!
I suspect there is no right answer and any placement would be fine. Maybe I’ve always done it “wrong”. For anyone who said to place it flowing the same direction as the return did they ever give a reason why?

My current tanks either have a overflow in each corner or the whole back wall is an overflow, so for me it doesn’t matter, but in the past I would put it shoving water towards the overflow.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect there is no right answer and any placement would be fine. Maybe I’ve always done it “wrong”. For anyone who said to place it flowing the same direction as the return did they ever give a reason why?

My current tanks either have a overflow in each corner or the whole back wall is an overflow, so for me it doesn’t matter, but in the past I would put it shoving water towards the overflow.
I contacted the manufacturer of the wavemaker just to see what hey would say, and the response was placing the item at the water output of the filter area, and near a corner and pointing towards the center of the aquarium...so if the filter output is on the left, the wavemaker would be on the right corner and faced towards the center.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the manufacturer of the wavemaker just to see what hey would say, and the response was placing the item at the water output of the filter area, and near a corner and pointing towards the center of the aquarium...so if the filter output is on the left, the wavemaker would be on the right corner and faced towards the center.
I would of never even thought to contact the manufacturer.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've always gone by the advice that aside from flow a wavermakers goal is to keep detritus in suspension and the longer you can keep it from settling the better likelihood your overflow will take care of it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back