Wavemaker/powerhead suggestions

Jarbour88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 37 gallon tank with the following dimensions: 37 Gallons; 30 in L x 12 in W x 22 in H. I currently have 2 cheap power heads listed below with no skimmer

I had my fish die and I think it was due to poor oxygen in the tank, I am new at this and trying to learn. What is suggested powerhead or wave-maker wise for this tank? I will also be purchasing a protein skimmer.

Thanks!

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think it was available oxygen deficiency?
For budget powerheads, check out jebao OW powerhead if you want wavemaker, otherwise a hydor koralia is probably fine.
Your protein skimmer will generate plenty of oxygen once you install it. I like the Tunze 900X series, or the Reef Octopus HOB filters, especially the BH-90.

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 37 gallon tank with the following dimensions: 37 Gallons; 30 in L x 12 in W x 22 in H. I currently have 2 cheap power heads listed below with no skimmer

I had my fish die and I think it was due to poor oxygen in the tank, I am new at this and trying to learn. What is suggested powerhead or wave-maker wise for this tank? I will also be purchasing a protein skimmer.

Thanks!

Agreed do make sure it was oxygen besides that I like gyre wave makers I have the smaller 1 of the icecap and its pretty cool but very strong for my 20 gallon

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think OP wanted more budget friendly options hehe
Oh if that be the case the cheapest would be to just stick your hand in your tank and shake it lol ...but on a real not are powerheads e
I think OP wanted more budget friendly options hehe
Probably true but I figured noone would mention gyre so just to give some insight as to what's out there but If i had to guess i would say he hasn't fully cycled his tank yet causing his fish to die from nts

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else is asking, are you sure it was due to oxygen deficiency in the water?

How long has the tank been setup? What are your water parameters? Did you acclimate the fish before putting them in? Did you check for any signs of disease in the fish?

Cause in my 16 gallon biocube, I very rarely turn on my powerhead, and usually when I do it is after a water change to help clear the water faster of any floating sand and detritus that is clouding it up. Otherwise, only my return pump is running. And I have never had any issues with oxygen being too low.

That said, if it really does appear to be low oxygen amd nothing else, aim your return nozzle and powerheads to the surface of the water, not down into the tank. It is the flow hitting the surface and causing a disturbance at the surface that allows for the water to become oxygenated.

OP
OP
Jarbour88

Jarbour88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been setup for about 3 months. I did a water test and had 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and my nitrate was under 5ppm after running my fuge for about a month, ph is steady at 8.2 and salinity Is 1.025. I had two clowns and a coral beauty all of which were doing very well in the tank until i noticed them turning pale and breathing heavy, i did not notice any marks on the fish, i did a freshwater dip which didn’t seem to help at all. The next morning all 3 fish were dead. I had a large algae bloom occur right before the fish deaths which I read can decrease oxygen rapidly causing fish death. Another poster on a previous thread said oxygen depletion could may well have been the cause with no skimmer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Jarbour88

Jarbour88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is also important to note that my fire shrimp. Snails and feather duster are all doing perfectly fine.

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else is asking, are you sure it was due to oxygen deficiency in the water?

How long has the tank been setup? What are your water parameters? Did you acclimate the fish before putting them in? Did you check for any signs of disease in the fish?

Cause in my 16 gallon biocube, I very rarely turn on my powerhead, and usually when I do it is after a water change to help clear the water faster of any floating sand and detritus that is clouding it up. Otherwise, only my return pump is running. And I have never had any issues with oxygen being too low.

That said, if it really does appear to be low oxygen amd nothing else, aim your return nozzle and powerheads to the surface of the water, not down into the tank. It is the flow hitting the surface and causing a disturbance at the surface that allows for the water to become oxygenated.
Have you upgraded your return pump? Been trying to find a good one that fits where the stock one is

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you upgraded your return pump? Been trying to find a good one that fits where the stock one is
Upgraded the tank lol. Forced to, actually. The biocube sprung a leak that I could not repair (in the stupid pump chamber!! I couldn't even fit my hand in past my wrist there!!!) So now I have a 29 gallon tank.
20200512_191722.jpg

So I mean, I did upgrade the pump... not so sure it would fit in the chamber of a Biocube 16 though.

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded the tank lol. Forced to, actually. The biocube sprung a leak that I could not repair (in the stupid pump chamber!! I couldn't even fit my hand in past my wrist there!!!) So now I have a 29 gallon tank.
20200512_191722.jpg

So I mean, I did upgrade the pump... not so sure it would fit in the chamber of a Biocube 16 though.
20200512_191722.jpg

Dang dude, it looks like to me the biocube leak ended up being a good thing because that tank is sick.. The rock placement looks perfect too. What kind of tank is that?

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as oxygenation goes, I’m running a system with a total water volume of 240 gallons without a skimmer without ever having any issues. All I do for oxygenation is have slight turbulence on the surface of my display and the water level in return area of my sump is about 6” lower than the previous section so there is a decent amount of aeration when the waters falls into this area.

You don’t want to hear my suggestion for a powerhead. I’ve never owned anything other than Vortechs MP40’s in my 14 years in the hobby. They’re not really a budget friendly powerhead and the new ones provide significantly more flow than the first generation one I bought 14 years ago - so they’re probably not suitable for a 37 gallon display. I have no experience with anything else other than the hydor korellia I use for mixing saltwater. Their cheap, look decent enough, and usually last about one or two years with the zero maintenance I give them.

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend Jebao OW Wave Maker. To sum things up, this wave maker flow pump with controller is a must-have. This is proudly made with pre-programmed flow rates and modes, multi-pump control feature and can be operated by wireless control approach. By the same token, it is significantly improved with a four-pole impeller design and this unit is capable of supplying ample wave pattern modes that are similar with reef wave current. This enables it to ensure a natural environment that your finned friends inside the tank will delight in.

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build of Jebao OW seems poor quality which is obviously to reduce the manufacturing cost. Sadly, because of this, even if this unit is upgraded, it may not stand long-standing service

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Fluval makes good, cheap powerheads....you need a skimmer that's for sure ASAP

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang dude, it looks like to me the biocube leak ended up being a good thing because that tank is sick.. The rock placement looks perfect too. What kind of tank is that?
Just a standard Aqueon 29 gallon. I added a Fiji Cube 29 Gallon AIO Kit for filtration. I finally mounted all the unmounted frags, and readjusted the rockwork on the right to be more angled - partially to have better views of the corals and give them better lighting, and partially because I couldn't clean the front glass in front of the larger ledge because it was touching it.
20200519_104143.jpg

20200519_104120(0).jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back