Wavemaker propeller spinning in wrong direction

OKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two cheap wavemakers for my 32 gal biocube and they worked fine at first. In fact, I liked them so much I purchased two more to use for my QT tank I'm about to set up (I know not to use them in anything else after they've received copper treatment) and I also use them for my saltwater mixing buckets. I decided I wanted to add a controller for the wavemakers so I could get the flow to alternate in the tank. However, I noticed one of the wavemakers was extremely loud now. So I played around with all four wavemakers, plugging them directly into an outlet and into the two channel controller. I eventually discovered that the wavemakers' propellers were spinning the wrong direction and it was the plastic from the propeller grinding on the plastic of the housing that was making all the noise. I decided to google the problem and I see that other people have had this issue with a ton of different brands of wavemakers and that the main cause is the wavemaker turning on and off all the time. Which I believe is true as sometimes the wavemakers correct the flow, but seem to spend most of their time spinning in the wrong direction. The more I mess with them, the worse they get.

So now my question is, what is a good wavemaker that works well with a controller that will turn it off and on every minute or so to change the flow direction of the tank?

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AC wavemakers have plastic stoppers to prevent them going the wrong way but when you hook them to a wavemaker controller they get beat up and in your case it sounds like they've ground down the stopper tabs. I would ditch the AC wavemakers and wavemaker controller for some Jebao wavemakers. They are DC and highly controllable, sync-able and come with their own controllers with multiple wave modes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back