Way too much macro algae in tank and tired of it. Grows like weeds....

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title states. Spreads everywhere. Constantly trimming. Fish not eating any of if.
I'm not running a skimmer which may be why it grows so quickly. Maybe I should get other kinds to grow with it??
I got this rock about 3 years ago from Florida. It had a bunch of algae on it when it came in
IMG_9481.jpeg

First got it in the tank..
IMG_9488.jpeg

Then it really died off fairly quickly.
IMG_0958.jpeg

Then about a year ago it has taken off..jeepers..BTW this is after 3 or 4 good trimmings since then. I trim it down to the rock every time and it grows back like this.
IDK.. someone tell me different... I am about to pull it out and trim the crap out of it. I am also about to add a skimmer to my sump.
Thoughts?
IMG_4181.jpeg
Yeah, mail me some of the pretty red ones….seriously……I’ll pay shipping ;)

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title states. Spreads everywhere. Constantly trimming. Fish not eating any of if.
I'm not running a skimmer which may be why it grows so quickly. Maybe I should get other kinds to grow with it??
I got this rock about 3 years ago from Florida. It had a bunch of algae on it when it came in
IMG_9481.jpeg

IMG_9488.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

Then about a year ago it has taken off..jeepers..BTW this is after 3 or 4 good trimmings since then. I trim it down to the rock every time and it grows back like this.
IDK.. someone tell me different... I am about to pull it out and trim the crap out of it. I am also about to add a skimmer to my sump.
Thoughts?
IMG_4181.jpeg
I think this looks amazing... If it was me, I would have turned it into a macro algae tank. :)

I want some of the red bubble algae. :)

OP
OP

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this looks amazing... If it was me, I would have turned it into a macro algae tank. :)

I want some of the red bubble algae. :)
No you don't.. Well maybe you do - but honestly it's just like the green bubble algae. Those bubbles bursting causes seeds to go everywhere and start new stalks.

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9481.jpeg

IMG_9488.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

Thoughts?
IMG_4181.jpeg
I’d buy some off of you if you sold it

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don't.. Well maybe you do - but honestly it's just like the green bubble algae. Those bubbles bursting causes seeds to go everywhere and start new stalks.

There's research/evidence that the bubbles don't actually spread spores. Check out any videos from Rich Ross on bubble algae, he mentions the source. It's in the reef beef episode with Craig Bingman I think. I can try and get the link when I get a minute. And I think the red algae is called string of pearls, there's another member on here that sells it from their tank. It grows fast.

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do
There's research/evidence that the bubbles don't actually spread spores. Check out any videos from Rich Ross on bubble algae, he mentions the source. It's in the reef beef episode with Craig Bingman I think. I can try and get the link when I get a minute. And I think the red algae is called string of pearls, there's another member on here that sells it from their tank. It grows fast.
Do you know what member?

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do

Do you know what member?

OP
OP

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. I guess it grows so fast I mistook it for spreading when I would pull some out and crush the bubbles. It does grow very fast though.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here it is, Rich mentions it right at the beginning of this segment:

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9481.jpeg

IMG_9488.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

Thoughts?
IMG_4181.jpeg
I have a moderate hair algae problem in my large, 9 month old display which I think is a result of my phosphates at 0.06 and nitrates at 20, plus a lack of competition.

It looks like early on you had some hair algae. Did that go away as soon as the Macro took off? I’m thinking about starting a remote 50 gallon refugium with Florida live rock and macro species to outcompete my hair algae.

OP
OP

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a moderate hair algae problem in my large, 9 month old display which I think is a result of my phosphates at 0.06 and nitrates at 20, plus a lack of competition.

It looks like early on you had some hair algae. Did that go away as soon as the Macro took off? I’m thinking about starting a remote 50 gallon refugium with Florida live rock and macro species to outcompete my hair algae.
It did.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A combination of Mexican turbo snails, a tuxedo urchin, and a handful of hermit crabs have cleaned up all my macroalgae. In addition to that, I have ~200 tiny trochus snail babies (the snails died in a dino outbreak but spawned beforehand). Mexican turbo snails did the actual work.

This was soon after I started my tank.
C7AD8950-03DF-4FFA-9D6B-F1369BD56875.jpeg

I also had bryopsis, so I dosed flux RX, which killed all algae and stated a dino bloom (I would not recommend). Once the dinos were gone, all that algae came back. Below is a pic toward the end of dino outbreak. This is after heavy trimming.
DC3BA1E4-9D7B-4635-84A1-7AAD608B873E.jpeg

B79BF5A1-2BC9-4A8F-9132-09A725E2ABED.jpeg

Not too soon after, I added 3 Mexican turbo snails. They cleaned up everything. I still have macroalgae show up in my tank; they are always gone in a couple of days. Here is an updated pic. The only algae I have is coraline algae.
BDC13C92-707E-4205-9FF5-5B5B47B611A1.jpeg

643F75BA-28B3-429C-87D2-611DF9F2131C.jpeg

Most importantly, my nutrients are always very low. Nitrates < 7 and phosphates < 0.02. It always was, even when the tank was full of macroalgae. I feed 3-5 times a day. I always thought it was the gulf live rock that kept my nutrients so low as I only have mechanical filtration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back