We can't discuss freshwater here can we?

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away, lotsa helpful folks here. I come from the world of freshwater planted tanks and would be happy to help if I can.
I have a female koi betta in a 5-gallon tank. I sometimes don't feed her for a few days to help her lose weight since her belly looks big. I will send pictures of her later. She flares up like any normal betta, but she seems less active when the light is off. However, she is interested in food. I plan to remodel the tank today by replacing the water and adding new decorations. I also want to add the cherry shrimps in there with her along with a mystery snail. I don't have a heater, and I plan on buying one soon. I just want to restore her health she isn't the betta she used to be

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats it doing ?I used to have several in a 55 gallon planted they are funny fish. They would lay on top of the leaves of my anubis.
Not active, but this morning she was. She's interested in food, and aggressive as bettas should be. She doesn't swim like she's healthy. Her colors are a bit faded too but not that bad.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So female bettas also produce eggs sometimes even if no male is present. So is it due to egg production or over feeding?. They can go a couple days without food. Also what are you feeding ans how much?

She may go after shrimp. Its hit or miss. O have a male that leaves mature shrimp alone. If you want shrimp to reproduce you need a large area for the small shrimp to hide and be safe.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not active, but this morning she was. She's interested in food, and aggressive as bettas should be. She doesn't swim like she's healthy.
Hard to say, swollen belly may be something. But being only fish in tank I wouldn't think disease. Maybe carrying eggs ? I dont know if they will go gravid by themselves. Mine were never really active.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So female bettas also produce eggs sometimes even if no male is present. So is it due to egg production or over feeding?. They can go a couple days without food. Also what are you feeding ans how much?

She may go after shrimp. Its hit or miss. O have a male that leaves mature shrimp alone. If you want shrimp to reproduce you need a large area for the small shrimp to hide and be saf

She may go after shrimp. Its hit or miss. O have a male that leaves mature shrimp alone. If you want shrimp to reproduce you need a large area for the small shrimp to hide and be safe.
Probably overfeeding. I think I feed her way too much and I'm trying to lower at as small as possible

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add the cherry shrimps in there with her along with a mystery snail. I don't have a heater, and I plan on buying one soon.

Those are pretty expensive snacks to give your betta..
And yes she will eat all of them, and go nomnomnom, thank you.

As for your beta, they are not very active fish.
They natively live in rice paties, sometimes even small puddles that are no bigger then a horse's hoof width.

If its eating, fine, id leave it be.
If its flaring up at you, then its happy.
Again they are not very active fish, and less active when the lights are off.

Also you need a heater if the room gets cold.
They like temps near reef tank range, about 75F-80F.
Cherry shirmps on the other hand prefer slightly cooler water, like 72F, so another reason why i say you shouldn't mix cherries and betas.

I used to breed Cherry's.
I took a break when my colony crashed from a bacteria infection, but my brother still has my breakoff colony which survived so i can always go back.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water!! Get outa here
1000016375.jpg

Lol jokes though, sorry for the non helpful answer.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have cherry shrimp in with mine . but it was a heavenly planted 55 gal.

all the pretty bright color one will be eatten.
The only ones left would be the wild recessions.
Also you probably rarely saw your shrimps as they were always hiding im betting.

Shrimps are very active when they fear nothing.
The moment an unknown gets dump'd in the tank, they scuttle like roachs and don't go out until enough of your colony realizes its safe.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the pretty bright color one will be eatten.
The only ones left would be the wild recessions.
Also you probably rarely saw your shrimps as they were always hiding im betting.

Shrimps are very active when they fear nothing.
The moment an unknown gets dump'd in the tank, they scuttle like roachs and don't go out until enough of your colony realizes its safe.
I saw the adults and if I looked hard I could see the babys here and there. I also saw the bettas when they were active stalking through the plants looking for shrimp snack's im sure lol. I never saw them eating a adult.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the adults and if I looked hard I could see the babys here and there. I also saw the bettas when they were active stalking through the plants looking for shrimp snack's im sure lol. I never saw them eating a adult.
Any other shrimp I can put in there?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other shrimp I can put in there?
Amanos... But they should be a good size... no tiny ones...

Bamboo Shrimp....

But even the prettiest shrimp fails in a beauty contest against a salt water blood fire shrimp. Well not until you go over to the super expensive metalic Boa line.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back