We finally tested the Black Box LED... Compare notes? | BRStv Investigates

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some BB led have UL list power supply, many if not all have CE mark.
The UL is for the powersupply, not the entire fixture.
Sadly not enough and then is always the issue of the quality and binning of their LEDs...

I look at it this way... As logical simple math... If I'm looking for an efficient Fixture to replace MH Lighting what do I want?

-Power supply 85% Efficient Vs 92% Efficient.
-LEDs R5 or S2 Cree Vs R2 or Q5... 30-50% more efficient
-LDD Drivers... 97% Efficiency Vs maybe 85% efficiency on generic drivers.
-Optics... Optimized to reduce spill and 92%efficient or Generics at 85% Efficiency...
-Cooling and Thermodynamic Heat Dissipation...Hard to quantify the efficiency improvement of the individual LED but a huge factor in longevity

This is just a short list of why some LED Fixtures are much better than others. Yes cost is a factor and despite the huge tendency to save $ or go cheap, using quality components will save more in the long run... Look at the cheap drill bit that is used often... It is replaced often rather than never or occasionally... The same goes with pumps...

Our Sirius XTC has been very popular with those replacing 400 watt MH bulbs... If your on a budget and have a canopy our XTC DIY Kit has yet to have a single complaint from former Black Box users.

Why settle for less when DIY is so easy and in the unlikely event a powersupply, fan or driver fails you can easily replace it without replacing the whole fixture at much less cost... BB Fixtures are known for a 12-24month life expectancy... Rarely see one with a three year warranty like our Sirius XTC...

Bill

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think low price of black box led is more to do with the large volume they are being made.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The item that I purchased is clearly superior because I'm super smart and savvy and therefore anyone who bought something else is wrong.

That said, you get what you pay for.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a hydro galaxy black box and I’m not that impressed with it I’m thinking of going to kessil a360 or a radion xr15 gen4 for my sps dom biocube 29

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackbox is not equal to a premium programmable led in many ways. Name brand chips such as Cree are superior to generic chips in many ways.
But blackbox do grow coral just fine. Which one to buy is an individual preference.
This is a hobby, so whatever float your boat is perfectly fine.
At the end of the day, blackbox and Radion target different users.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef hobby market is very small, we are already blessed with many manufactures that offer a wide range of lightings to fill different level of needs.
Blackbox is here to stay and thrives.
If you look at the much larger horticulture market, blackbox dominate the led market.

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all Sarah, one of the issues I had with the way BRS did the video was they painted a picture that since there wasn’t any UL listing and one reported fire (that wasn’t even remotely close to the current black box design sold nowadays and the unit they tested and didn’t even name the manufacturer) that you could burn your house down! Without any data to back up their claims, the whole video came off one sided and un-factual. Wasn’t the standard I’ve been use to with BRS. I’ve been extremely happy with my modded Mars Aquas now for two years.
do you have posts about your mod mars aqua?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen two broken Mars aqua and refused to repair them. It is a few years ago but I didnt see how they could stand up to the EC standard. Both of unaccepted electrical interference and one had the mains cords not securely mounted.
In Europe it is so that if You repair something You are responsible afterwards that it is safe.
And in another law it is forbidden to sell electrical products without proper CE marking.
I am convinced the laws are similar in the US.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certain You have laws to protect You from dangerous electrical stuff.
Its not the wild west anymore I hope.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen two broken Mars aqua and refused to repair them. It is a few years ago but I didnt see how they could stand up to the EC standard. Both of unaccepted electrical interference and one had the mains cords not securely mounted.
In Europe it is so that if You repair something You are responsible afterwards that it is safe.
And in another law it is forbidden to sell electrical products without proper CE marking.
I am convinced the laws are similar in the US.

There is no similar requirement for CE marking for electrical safety in the US for home use non-permanent installation devices. You do however have to pass FCC conducted and radiated emissions (which I guarantee you these don’t). The FCC however generally ignores the small noisy home things (like how many LED bulbs actually fail conducted emissions!) unless your competitor whistle blows on you. Fines do include forfeiture of profit for offering for sale a non-compliant device, but ... it’s just not a huge risk to get hit.

There is the ability to get the FTC and CPSC (before being gutted by the latest administration) after you for bad offenses (kill some people), and the legal atmosphere does mean you are still liable, but that is mostly unenforceable against a foreign company (who would just sell the same thing under a new name in a day).

Companies that do care or sell to and operate in a business atmosphere (OSHA, company requirements) will of course cover themselves against liabilities by independently acquiring the covering safety certifications from an independent body like UL, TUV, CSA, ETL etc.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ever happened to the 1t2080 evergrows. I have used them for the past 5 years with some good results.. I use them with some eco's also..

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no similar requirement for CE marking for electrical safety in the US for home use non-permanent installation devices. You do however have to pass FCC conducted and radiated emissions (which I guarantee you these don’t). The FCC however generally ignores the small noisy home things (like how many LED bulbs actually fail conducted emissions!) unless your competitor whistle blows on you. Fines do include forfeiture of profit for offering for sale a non-compliant device, but ... it’s just not a huge risk to get hit.

There is the ability to get the FTC and CPSC (before being gutted by the latest administration) after you for bad offenses (kill some people), and the legal atmosphere does mean you are still liable, but that is mostly unenforceable against a foreign company (who would just sell the same thing under a new name in a day).

Companies that do care or sell to and operate in a business atmosphere (OSHA, company requirements) will of course cover themselves against liabilities by independently acquiring the covering safety certifications from an independent body like UL, TUV, CSA, ETL etc.

They are foreign corporations that just draft new Delaware corporations if they get busted. To them, it's just the cost of doing business like setting up a new eBay account.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back